Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
SmallPileofGibs

Aureal Vortex2 and win2k ugh

Does ANYONE have win2k and a vortex2 card running properly without sound cutouts? I could have sworn mine worked before... and now I've tried everything, but it refuses to stop cutting out.

I know this subject has been discussed many times before (i count 16 threads in the search), but I just want to rule out any possible solutions to the problem before I get a new soundcard.

Problem: with all versions of the win2k Aureal 8830 WDM drivers (including the last beta WDM5_10_2500_49.zip and the ones that come with win2k), sound cuts out when playing wave files or mp3s and using other applications.

Soundcard: Diamond MX300 (vortex2 8830)

Motherboard: ASUS P3V4X

I'm running Windows 2000 with a Diamond MX 300 adapter and can run WinAmp, WMP7 or even MusicMatch and play MP3s without any issues.

However, I'm not messing with the BETA Aureal drivers, I'm simply using the ones MS installed when the MX300 was placed into this system.

You say that sound cuts out when using other apps. Well, mp3s and wave files are subject to hd activity issues. It's possible that the sound card is not the problem...

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

Thanks for the reply..

I had the mx300 working fine with the default win2k drivers installed for a while.. I'm trying to track down what started the problems though. I've tried removing the beta drivers and even reinstalling win2k. Perhaps a full format and reinstall would be a good idea.

The problem does seem to be associated with hd access, but the cutouts i'm talking about involve the soundcard completely locking up. I'm pretty sure this is a software thing.. because reinstalling the drivers restarts the sound, and it works fine until the next cutout.

I have been using my Monster MX300 with the aureal beta drivers for a long time.. I never have experienced sound problems and a3d works in everything I play smile

hmm.. interesting. What kind of motherboard does each of you have? And is your hd NTFS or FAT32? On that note.. what are your full system specs? =)

If you're using the win2k beta drivers successfully, did you do anything in particular to install them?

I'm trying to figure out what the difference is between the people who have it working, and the people who have the same problem as I do (there seem to be many).

- Abit BP6

- Dual Celeron 566

- 256 PC-133

- Voodoo 3 3k agp

- Diamon Monster MX300

- Maxtor 20 gig

Drive is formatted with Fat32, NTFS, BE

I just followed the instructions with the drivers.

I'm running my MX300 on a Asus CUSL2 (815E chipset) with an IBM ATA100 30GB, 3Com NIC, Adaptec SCSI, Diamond Viper V770 AGP, ATI AIW128 32MB PCI.

Later.

[This message has been edited by ByronT (edited 29 September 2000).]

I have a New Abit KT7-Raid with 2 15GB ATA5 IBM Hard Drives GeForce DDR 256M Kingmax PC133 Ram Duron 650 at 990 and Yes i have the same sort of Problems. Sound might work for a couple of minutes AFTER a boot but then it is like the MX300 goes to disneyland for the remainder of uptime. I recently upgraded from P3450@600 on Asus P3V4X and as far as i remember my sound worked fine on that so what chipset do you run? (Mine is KT133, Asus one was VIA133A (694X)

Quote:
Originally posted by SmallPileofGibs:

Thanks =).

OK.. I'm starting to think it's a problem with my VIA chipset motherboard... Does anyone have a VIA board and a working vortex2 in win2k?

I'll give you the simple answer, cuz I had the same problems on two totally different machines.

First, Win2k does NOT work well with Aureal Vortex 2, MX300 or not.

I have talked this through with many people, and it isn't the new drivers.

Try playing games with the MS packaged drivers, it's not funny.

I can give you a simple solution, though im anti-creative... get an SB Live!

I find the sound better than vortex 2 and it is a ****load more stable. This is the only one good experience I had with creative. I had problems with all my previous SB hardware.

Also to you people who mentioned that they don't have this problem: we're talking about Win2k here, not Win98/95/ME.

Well, Biatche...

I am running Win2K, and I've been running it since RC2 - and with the exception of problems related to a previous motherboard, I have had ZERO issues with the MX300 and Win2K. I do play games - though it's been a while since I played UT or Q3 - and I didn't experience problems there either.

Bottom line:

MAKE YOUR BLANKET STATEMENTS ELSEWHERE.

(I don't like being presumed stupid (what OS are you running) or being spoken for.)

And as far as the SB Live goes, you can search the threads here and find as many, if not more problems with SB Lives and various configurations (as well as various drivers.)

chernobyl: I'm having problems with the vortex2 (MX300) with WIN2k and an Asus P3V4X board (VIA apollo pro133A chipset). Are you saying that your vortex2 card worked with win2k and the same chipset? It seems to work fine with win2k and the intel BX chipset, or with win98 and the VIA chipset.. but not with VIA and win2k. Were you running win2k before you upgraded?