Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
captain winters

limiting the system cache

hi guys

i was wondering win2k uses a systemcache but i find that win2k uses too much of my memory for its systemcache ( i know it shrinks itself if needed ) but i was wondering if i could limit the systemcache too what i want

------------------

revence is a dish best served cold

Disable some services in admin tools. Buy more memory... (oops thats right win2k will just fill it with more redundant bit and pieces hardly ever used).

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

Radeon 64Mb DDR (10/10)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 PCI64v smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24)

Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb UDMA 4

LS120

If Jungle.com say it is not in stock it'll never be in stock, so don't order it.

well that wasnt much of an answer was it i know that i can limit it because a program named x-tegsetup can increase the system cache ( use large systemcache ) but i want to decrease it and i think that could be possible also.

------------------

Well, now that Rambus have turned the RAM marked up-side down, the SDRAM prices are 60% higher. As in 100$ instead of only 40$ frown

I might be buying anyway since I really feel how I need more ram now that I gave 128 to my brother, I have now "only" 256 left. It sounds a lot maybe but the way I use my PC I quickly found out I really need what I had, 320 MB.

Disabling services is something that can be done, go to www.arstechnica.com they have a very nice guide on it.

i dont care about disabling services anymore i already disabled the ones i dont need but what i do need is set the systemcache too a fixed size or at the very least 25% smaller than i have now and i know this is possible.

------------------

O&O's Clever cache 2.0 works perfectly regarding NT/2000 Cache management.

you can get a free 30-day trial (unlockable via serial) at http://www.oosoft.de/english/products/oocc/oocc.html

I bought it and I must say it rocks =)))

------------------

-=[Reed]=-

MSI-6167, Athlon-700 @900, 320 Mb PC100 SDRAM

AHA-2940 U2W, IBM HDs x2(18Go U2W 7200rpm), Plextor Combo (PX32TSi, PX412R)

Xentor32, IIyama 19", SBLive!1024

Alcatel 1000 DSL modem, generic Realtec 8029 NIC

MS Win2K French Final retail and MS WinNT4.0