Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

Which 815 motherboard?

Good morning,

Need to make an 815 motherboard purchase.

Which of the following should the hard erned company £££'s be spent on?

Abit SE6 or

Asus CUSL2

------------------

PIII 700E, Intel D815EEA, 512MB PC100 RAM (Hyundai), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA100 30GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

i just got the cusl2

cusl2.com

some peeps have reported probs..maybe u wanna check that out..i think that if u get everyting running smoothly itll roxx0r ur w0rld

Asus CUSL2 here and i'm very smile

------------------

Asus CUSL2 Mobo

PIII 600EB @ 666

Creative GE F**K Force/Matrox G400

SB LIVE! VALUE

256Mb PC133

10GB ATA66 Quantum

BeOS5 Pro

Win2k Pro

=http://yabeg.cjb.net

Good choice.

CUSL2 here also.

One note, before you do anything with the board after installing CPU, mem and VGA, flash the BIOS with the latest BIOS - BETA if you want, but I would recommend 1002 Final.

You'll love the board.

------------------

J. Byron Todd

Computer Consultant

byron@toddcomp.com

Todd Computer Solutions

One word of warning if you flash to 1002 as per ByronT's recomendation.

I also am using 1002, but I had a problem that a lot of other fellow CUSL2 owners have suffered. After applying the BIOS update, I rebooted to a black 'nothing' screen...... i.e. the system would not boot.

The fix I found out by trial, was to take the CMOS battery out for 10 minutes. After that, all ran just fine under 1002.

Also, go to Intel's site and install the 2 win2k patches (.inf and hd controllers)for the 815 chipset.

L8r

its easier to find through www.cusl2.com

i got my system to run stable at 133:100:33 (fsb sdram pci ) ..gonna try my second sdram 100 (128mg) tonight and if its stable while playing q3 im gonna let it go through the torture test tomorrow while im at work ...

Hmmmm, I flashed the BIOS via a boot disk and the flash.exe program, and I didn't have to remove the battery to make it work. But it was the FIRST thing that I did.

There have been other reports that removing the battery/unplugging for 10 minutes is necessary. As a computer engineer, the only reason I would think that taking that step would be necessary is if you made wholesale changes to the 1001 BIOS and when the 1002 BIOS is flashed, the wholesale changes combined with the 1002 BIOS result in an unbootable computer. If that's the case, I would then recommend that you first set all defaults in the 1001 BIOS and then flash to the 1002 BIOS.

I'm willing to bet that the people who reported a problem with the 1002 BIOS had been using the CUSL2 with the 1001 BIOS for a while and had already been tweaking their BIOS settings...

Anyway...

I think I'd have to agree with ya on that one ByronT... I was def. guilty of tweak'n the board (the whole reason for getting it was to tweak). 700FC up to 933.

I wouldn't doubt that loading default settings in the BIOS would avoid that. As soon as I flashed it to 1002 and had a blank pc staring me in the face, I thought that I should've done that.

Anywayz ... x2

Well, you live, you learn (hopefully!)

Let's just say that I know firsthand about not setting defaults in BIOS before a flash... smile

Later.

hmm luckily i read bout that on cusl2.com

and also bout turning virus detection OFF

at least thats what i did and it worked fine