Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mark W

Looking for a Win2k Friendly GamePad

I hax a Gravis Xterminator (not USB) that I cannot get to work. Does anbody have any experience with a different pad with similar features that works with win2k (maybe Xterminator USB, Sidewinder, or other)?

I have the same gamepad as you, and with drivers found at dev.gravis.com you can use it under win2000.. the problem is its a basic driver that has no features and makes windows blue screen every day or so of uptime, bit poor smile

Im sure the sidewinder gamepads would work fine but they arent as good as the gravis equivalent. One interesting option ive seen is to get one of those playstation gamepad converter things that plug into your printer port and use that - drivers work fine in win2000 and you have a quality playstation gamepad.

Hi, I have a PC Powerpad that I use with it's standard drivers on w2k. It is made by Interact and sold by PC World. Has analoge and digital joystick/pad, 9 buttons and a throttle. Mine works fine in FS200 and GP2, infact all of the driving games I've used.

Chris

I have the Sidewinder DualStrike (USB) and it's great, The best you can get !!!!

I've got a MS Sidewinder Game Pad Pro - USB attached to my system that works great.

------------------

PIII 650 Coppermine, ABit BE6-II, 384MB PC100 RAM (Samsung), Matrox G400MAX, SB Live! Value, Intel 10/100 NIC, Adaptec 2940UW, IBM 7200 ATA66 22GB HD, IBM 7200 ATA66 20GB HD, Pioneer 32x/6x SCSI DVD, Yamaha 4416 SCSI CD-RW, Iomega Zip 100 SCSI Internal, Iiyama Vision Master Pro 410.

Windows 2000 Only

Thank you all for your suggestions.

Wind: I have tried the gravis beta driver and find them unacceptable - I cannot handle the bsod barage. Also, where do I find out info on the playstation option that you mention?

What is the difference between the Sidewinder Pro and Dualstrike? Also, was the hardware recognized by windows (drivers installed automatically) or did you have to install drivers/software? If the latter, is it the standard win98 software or is there a special win2k version? Also, do you have "full" functionality (programmable buttons, etc.) or is it just "basic?" Thanks for all the help.

Also, has anyone had any luck w/ the Xterminator USB or is it just the same as the standard one?

[This message has been edited by Mark W (edited 03 August 2000).]

Rule 1 & only Rule is alway's buy MS hardware

then you know it going to work rigth out the box.

How this one MS Sidewinder Plug 'n Play Game Pad USB it only cost only $20 at Walmart if you have that store in your home town.

My 5yrs old MS Sidewinder 3D Pro is stll run to this day even in Win2000, you can't go wrong with MS hardware product.

[This message has been edited by SHS (edited 03 August 2000).]

I have the Gravis Xterm USB working just fine without the beta drivers. In fact, I think it says NOT to use the beta's with the usb. You have to set it as a HID-compatible Game device, or something like that. I can't remember exactly, and I'm at work right now so I can't check. But it does work with all of the features, just no gravis utilities

About the DualStrike, all his right part is moving and let you feel the race or flight, like usuing a stick but with a gamepad.

really cool, see more detail at microsoft.com

I've got the SideWinder also... great pad, works excellent in Win2k

------------------

---Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.---

Pentium II 450@504 4.5X112

128MB PC100 SDRAM

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

Sound Blaster Live! Value

Seagate 13.6 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Western Digital 13.4 Gig 7200RPM ATA/66

Quantum 8.3 Gig

36X Acer CD Rom

Viewsonic PS790 19" Sweet as Heck Monitor

3Com NIC

Lexmark 5700 Printer

Before you go on too much about the dual-strike, I've read some things where people have had problems with it. Some games just don't work properly with, and other people have had a hard time installing it.

I don't own one, and haven't used one, but reading that put me off getting one. If I was after a pad, I think I'd stick with something more traditional (but it would still be an MS pad).

MS gamepads are good for compatability, but they feel light/cheap. I guess most pc gamepads are like this, need something with a bit of beef (looks at ps2 gamepad)! smile

Microsoft's gamepads are incredibly precise and accurate. They don't require calibration either. I recommend a Sidewinder gamepad.

I am using the Logitech Wingman Extreme USB which is OK and has Windows 2000 drivers. But it replaces your joystick as Controller ID 1, in Gaming options of Control Panel.

That is one reason why I prefer Sidewinder Strategic Commander USB: it does not appear as Controller ID and works jointly with the joystick. Just hold it in your left hand.

Its software perfectly under Win 2K. The box refers to "Windows 98 or later". New Win 2K drivers are in preparation.

I have tried it under Windows 2000 Pro with Homeword (a pre-existing profile) and have created a new profile for Freespace 2. It delivers total compatibility with my MS Force Feedback Pro plugged in game port.

Each configured button light up. Six default buttons plus three button switches under the thumb plus three profile switches (available for the same game) make for 72 programmable commands. The twin zoom in or out buttons are also configurable even with time delays and mouse clicks.

This is a kind of gamepad since you move its top part left and right, up and down and also turn it around over its base to control movement. A new kind of game controller made to complement joystick, mouse and keyboard.

http://www.microsoft.com/products/hardware/sidewinder/devices/SComm/default.htm

Hey Mark,

I'm with CuViper, I have the Xterminator USB and it works fine with the drivers that 2k uses for it.

The only quirk I have is in calibration. At first, when I checked to see if I got full movement for the axis on the left thumb controller (joystick part), I didn't. I went and recalibrated using raw data, and holding short of going full deflection on some of the axis. After that, I went back to test if I had full movement and bingooo !

I just purchased another MS controller today and so far no problems. This one is the el cheapo Sidewinder USB Plug and Play Game pad.

It autodetects and has native support in Win2k. Very comfortable to hold and control. It can also be profiled as a standard gamepad or 2 axis-6 button gamepad.

Worked very well in Motocross Madness 2, which is usually very twitchy with the original Sidewinder Game Pad.

The thing that I found with microsoft gamepads is that generally they feel really..light/cheap. They really arent up to the quality level of any decent gamepad, such as a console gamepad and a few of gravis's to an extent. Im using a playstation 2 gamepad under win2000 at the moment, no complaints yet, nice feel, lots of buttons and soforth.