Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
JohnnyB

Cannot install Win 2000 from WIn Me!

I screwed up.. Dont ask me why I even did this.. I was using a dual boot config of Win98 (Drive C) and Win2k(Drive e) when I decided to upgrade my 98 to ME. All went well, but I lost my Dual Boot Menu upon boot up, and could only load WinME. So I decided to reinstall Win2k over from within WinME, and I keep getting an error message, saying that I have an inaccurate upgrade path?

Something about Win95upg.dll or something, and the setup just stops.

Now I have no access to Win2k, and cant even reinstall it on my system.. I do not want to reformat, as I have a lot of data.

Anyhelp Please?

Johnny

Try booting from the Win2000 CD or disks and doing a repair. When you setup the repair options, only repair the items describing startup or boot, don't compare files or mess with the registry restore options. This used to work for NT, and I don't see why it won't for 2000 as well. It should find your Win2000 installation and resetup the boot sector and boot menu to include it and Windows ME.

Try putting the Win2k CD-Rom into the drive and boot off of it (if your bios supports it), and select R to repair. Try letting it do it's automatic repair to see if it fixes the mbr. If it doesn't then use the recovery console (again boot of the CD-Rom) and then type fixmbr (I think that's the command) and fixboot at the command prompt. It's been awhile since I've used the Recovery console, so I'm not 100% sure of the commands.

If your BIOS doesn't support CD-Rom booting, then look for a command on the Win2k disk call makeboot.exe.

Hopefully this won't kill your ME install.

microsoft released a patch to make the windows 2000 setup program work under windows ME. Download it somewhere at MS website.

have you tried this: boot up into winme, goto start:run and type "boot.ini"

then, simply change the line that reads: "timeout=0" to "timeout=15"

WinME sets itself as the default OS, with no timeout. I'm not sure if its a bug, or a "feature", but its fixable.

im gonna guess your boot.ini will look like this:

[boot loader]

timeout=0

default=C:\

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows Millenium"

If you want Win2k as the default OS, simply change it to read:

[boot loader]

timeout=15

default=multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinNT

[operating systems]

multi(0)disk(1)rdisk(0)partition(1)\WinNT="Microsoft Windows 2000 Professional" /fastdetect

C:\="Microsoft Windows Millenium"

To all: I know you'll probly disagree with me, but I am of the opinion that WinME doesnt re-write the win2k MBR....Simply edits the boot.ini

The boot.ini trick has worked for me in the past however

------------------

Obligatory System Specs

Intel MU440EX(latest BIOS)

Celeron366 @ 366mhz

128MB PC100-CAS2

Maxtor 10gb

3dfx Voodoo Banshee

Yamaha YMF740

Aztech 56kPCI

Liteon 32x CDROM

MicroATX POS case

14in Kenitec@1024x768x16

Radu I think you're probably right on the money there, but don't have WinMe to confirm it either. MS plays those tricks with the boot.ini file all the time. If John had installed his OS's in multiple partitions in the order of : Win 98 (convert to ME), NT4, 2000PRO, 2000Server family he would no doubt have a listing of all the OS's on his computer at boot up.

ME being a "consumer" OS, MS probably doesn't think people are sophisticated enough to need multiboot systems or some nonsense like that.

John may not have to directly modify the boot.ini either. He may be able to show all available OS's at boot by changing:

right click "my computer" | properties | advanced | startup and recovery | and then selecting the default OS and the time to display a list of available OS on boot up.

I don't have ME so can't confirm this option is available there, but there should be something like it in that area. smile