Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
halen

AGP and Direct3d disabled on Win2000 with TNT2U

Ok,

I have no idea what happened to my machine. I recently updated the BIOS on my Abit BH6 1.0 to version SS and I also upgraded to the Nvidia 6.18 drivers and now when I go into DXdiag, it shows Direct3d and AGP support not available. OpenGL accelerated games seem to work fine, but UT in D3D mode only runs in a windows and won't go to fullscreen. Has this happened to anyone else? Is there a fix? I tried going back to the 5.32 drivers, which worked before, but it didn't fixt the problem.

Well, in my riva TNT 1 card, AGP support is also disabled, but direct3d works fine. This "NO AGP" issue is common to all detonator drivers from 3.78 RC2.

Uninstall 6.18 drivers with the add-remove applet from the control panel. Reboot twice eek.gif (this ensures windows 2000 REALLY cleans tnt trash/garbage from your registry).

Finally, install again 6.18 drivers and try them.

also do a search for nv4*.* and oem*.* and delete them. Make sure \winnt\inf is not hidden, as this folder contains some of these files. Then reboot.

------------------

System Spec:

Athlon 800

Gigabyte GA-7IXE F4

128Mb SSi PC100

TNT (radeon coming)

Hauppauge Wintv Model 406

Realtek 8029 LAN (cnx to ISDN server)

Creative ES1371 (PCI64v) smile

Creative SBlive Value frown

Creative 48mx CDROM

Memorex TriMaxx200(DVD/CDR/CDRW, 6,4,24) Maxtor 91301U3 13Gb UDMA 4

LS120

<Unknown> has caused a fault in <Unknown>. <Unknown> will now close.

I've tried both of those things already, with no luck. I've removed the drivers via the control panel, rebooted into safe mode and deleted all oem*.inf and nv*.* files, and reinstalled the drivers. Is there something else I may be missing? I do have SP1 installed as well as build 140 of DirectX 8. I'd like to avoid blowing away Win2000 and reinstalling if possible.

maybe do a check with the bios release. Does it alter any AGP settings, maybe requiring a motherboard chipset driver update? Maybe it fixes an incompatibility in previous revisions that then required bios settings to be specifically set, now not needed? Check AGP settings, AGP aperture when set to less than 4MB disables AGP, and the high end does odd stuff too! Try reseting the bios' hardware config by setting "reset configuration" to enabled.

What does the bios update do? Unless it was required for a hardware problem you have, and frequently suffer from, then return to the original bios.

A re-install sounds like the easy option. no need to delete anything though, just a re-insert cd and autoboot from CD. If the bios changed ACPI compatibility, then a reboot will fix this. Try uninstalling DX8, if found problems with it. It's not much use untill new drivers compatible with are released. I think there is an uninstaller at www.nvnews.com

The bios update was necessary to support a newer CPU upgrade. I've tried altering the aperture settings to equal the size of my RAM, half my RAM and 1/4th my RAM. It's a BX board and I'm pretty sure that W2k has the newest drivers for that chipset. I've already reinstalled once to enable ACPI about 4 months ago, it won't hurt to do it again, I guess. Oh, and I did uninstall DX8 as well, but the problem remains.

Ive exerienced the same problem, but the problem wasent the Nvidia drv's it was the new UT patch 4.28. So if u recently updated ur UT that might be it. So try to use another D3D.dll file.

Yet another fragged ass... smile.gif

Hi !

I've got the same pb here.

A kind of mix like yours :

BH6 rev 1.0 & win2k

+ new SS bios and back to QN

+ DX8 140 then 146

+ Det 6.18

= no more D3D acceleration frown.gif

but i don't know when and why it went wrong exactly. i just discovered the pb when trying to play a game demo a few days later i made all the changes.

I don't know if it deals with the BIOS (SoftFSB doesn't like SS bios) but i m sure it doesn't with UT patch (I'm a Quaker only :-P)

I tried to uninstall DX8 back to 7a + Det 5.xx + bios QN but it seems like win2k (DLL ? registry ?) is definitely broken.

I'll wait for a solution on NG and forum for a while b4 a clean install of win2k.

Well, I figured out my problem, and it wasn't related to Nvidia or DirectX at all. It was Netmeeting Remote Desktop sharing. As soon as I turn it off and reboot, I get AGP, Directdraw and D3D reenabled in dxdiag. If I turn it back on, they go away on the next reboot. Would this be considered a feature?

Really ? Netmeeting ?

I can't try to disable this sharing feature right now (i m at work wink.gif

but you may be right, i also used netmeeting after upgrading...

I hope it is !!!

Thanx a lot for sharing this tip anyway !

Bout.

I had this problem as well, and it stumped me for a coupla days. I ran dxdiag and it told me DirectDraw Acceleration was disabled and both Direct3D and AGP was "Not Available". On a hunch, I enabled DirectDraw, and viola! D3D was "Disabled" and the button to enable it wasnt grayed out anymore! AGP still was, but thats acceptable, seeing as i have a PCI card heh.

It was not quite the same pb : directdraw was enabled but D3D and AGP were grayed out.

And it really was Netmeeting Desktop Remote Sharing Service which was guilty for me !!

Just stop the service and "voilà" (you US guys are really funny to me when you use this french word wink.gif.

You don't even need to reboot.