Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
ReNZoR_uK

Diamond SupraMax 56k Ext USB Modem drivers for Win2k

Hi everybody.

I purchased a SupraMax 56k USB modem from a local branch of PC World recently, and was looking forwrad to upgrading my old 33.6 modem to this new 56k V90 - but, I was unable to due to the drivers frown

I use Windows 2000 and the CD doesn't have any Windows 2000 compatable drivers on it, and neither does the Diamond web site - I cant even find an email address to contact Diamond with.

Please, if anybody knows about any drivers for my modem (SupraMax 56k V90 EXT USB) so that it will function under Windows 2000 - then PLEASE, please email me at master02@globalnet.co.uk

Thankyou

Stuart

master02@globalnet.co.uk

Hi again.

Thanks mrwhatman - for the URL, I checked out the www.s3.com site (also reachable from http://www.diamonmm.com) - visited the modem drivers page ( ftp://ftp.diamondmm-europe.com/comm/56kusb/files.htm ) and downloaded the drivers for my modem (the SUP2920 ones).

Tried it with Windows 2000, and it still doesn't work. Windows 2000 reports that there is a file missing.

Thanks for trying to help me though.

Stuart

hhhhmmm

Mine detected fine in w2k (it doesn't help you much though does it!)

Is it your ony USB device or are other devices working ok? You could try uninstalling all the USB stuff and let windows redetect it when it reboots.

Good luck!

RenZor I have bad news for you. Those POS drivers from S3 never worked for my Supra USB either. Same thing, one file missing and it never gives you a chance to look for it.

Now you are also screwed to install an actual working file for the modem. I will give you the place to find it, or I can email it to you (its only 19kb).

In order to install a driver for that modem you have to unplug it and plug it back it, then windows detects the device and you should be able to point it at a modem .inf file and everything will work no problem. Because that f'ing S3 driver started to install but didn't finish, everytime you try to install a new driver for it, it will default back to installing the S3 driver, which of course doesn't work.

I could never resolve this problem until I re-installed win2000 and reset the default modem (back to none in this case). Make sure to give a big thank you to S3 for me.

Anyways, go to Zoom's website, look in support for Win2000 drivers and download the driver which I believe is called "Zusb2000" for Lucent external usb modem chipset. That driver worked very well in the Supra modem. I was able to connect at 52K and 44K to two different ISP's.

Good Luck.

Hi again.

mrwhatman - Its the only USB device I have. I have tried doing what you said, but I still get teh same problem. Thanks though smile.gif

MoreLight - I have been to Zoom's web site (http://www.zoom.com) and have downloaded the file Zusb2000.exe and I am going to try what you suggested.

One thing though. Zooms site states that these drivers (in zusb2000.exe) are NOT for Rockwell chipsets - but thats the chipset used in the Diamond SupraMax 56k USB isnt it?

I'll have a go and post my results - may be a while though - if I have to format and reinstall my OS's.

Cheers for your help guys.

Stuart

The zoom drivers will not work on a UK supramax - it's a conexant chip (rockwell) not lucent as you said - the only 2 drivers i have got to work with my modem were the s3 ones (work fine) and some generic conexant ones that i downloaded (they lit the modem - but couldn't dial out)

if you can't get the s3 drivers to work one suggestion would be to clear out all the reminents of failed installs and try again. You don't need to re-install w2k to do this - just delete the relevant .inf files from the w2k inf folder - usually oemx.inf and try reinstalling again. I can mail you the Conexant generic driver - it didn't work for me - but might for you - just let me know.

Hi again.

mrwhatman - I'll have another go.

I just got an email from Diamon's tech support team - they gave me a direct link to the Win2k drivers!

Turns out that I downloaded the Win98 drivers the other day - I just couldn't find the REAL Win2k drivers on their site - its not easily accessible.

I'll have a go at deleting the OEM.if file as I already have remains from the failed Win98 drivers, I hope it works.

I'll keep you posted.

Cheers.

Stuart

Sorry you guys. I should have paid more attention to your countries. Didn't realize you were dealing with European modems.

My solution did work for North American USB Supra's, but that isn't any good you.

Hi guys.

I finally managed to get the damn modem working!

I did what you suggested mrwhatman - I deleted the inf files (oemX.inf and all the other inf files that came with the drivers that were in the INF folder)

I plugged the modem in, looked for the Win2k drivers and it installed!

In fact I'm posting this now from the Supra!

Problem solved!

Thanks guys!

Stuart

(PS. Anyone know where the CD play that comes with Win2k stores all the downloaded album information - like track titles, etc)