Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
dannyb68

Help me! Mouse not working

Hi everyone,

I was wondering if someone could help me with a problem that I have.

My mouse (ps2) has now decided to stop working.

I have checked the conenction etc and it will work initially upon load up, but once i've put in my password and Windows XP has loaded completly it will freeze and is totally unresponsive.

Ive been into the BIOS and the mouse is on auto detect (have also tried 'enable' setting. I checked the mouse driver and it was up to date and said "this system is working" however it obviously isn't.

I tried to remove the driver and reboot in the hope that it would auto install the default basic driver that comes with my PC but no luck, the driver is now uninstalled but it's not auto installing the default one.

Im not very ciomputer savvy and have run out of ideas!Can anyone suggest what the problem is and how to fix it please?

I don't have my PC model details with me as i'm at work but I know its a Compaq Presario PC if this helps.

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Try using a different mouse. If that works, go into your device manager (click Start, right-click My Computer, select properties, click the hardware tab, select Device Manager), expand the Mice section, right-click the mouse and select Uninstall. Reboot your machine.

If the mouse still has the same issues and you can't use it, you can use the keyboard and do the above. To get there, hold down the Windows key and hit the Pause|Break button. This will bring up the System Properties window described above. You can use the arrow keys to get to the Hardware tab. Once there, hit the Tab key until you get to the Device Manager button and hit Enter. In the next window, hit Tab until your computer name is highlighted. Use the arrow keys to get down to the Mice section, then hit the right arrow key to expand the selection. Arrow down to the mouse, and hit the menu key (should be inbetween the right Alt and right Ctrl keys; looks like a menu); this does the same as right-clicking the selected item. Arrow down to the Uninstall selection and hit Enter. Follow the instructions by using the Tab key to select options. Reboot your machine.

Once fully logged into Windows, plug the original mouse in. Windows will then try to install the hardware. You may be required to reboot afterwards. If that doesn't work, you may just want to use a mouse that works (preferably USB).