Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Uncut_Diamond

Win2k HELP PLEASE!!!!

I have been receiving random lockups where I have to hit the reset button in order to reboot and get back to windows 2k. Here's my system specs:

----------------------------------

Abit BP6

Dual Celeron 500's

2x 32MB PC66 SDRAM (Crucial)

1x 64MB PC66 SDRAM (Crucial)

WD Caviar 8.4GB ATA33

Samsung 4.8GB ATA66

Generic 36X CD-ROM

Creative Blaster Banshee

Linksys 10/100 NIC

v90 Kflex PCI Modem

AWE64 ISA Sound Card

----------------------------------

I have eliminated the following as a possible cause for these lockups:

1) Bad Windows 2000 install (I have re-installed successfully without removing lockup problems).

2) It is not heat related.

3) I have an adaquate Power Supply.

4) It's not sound or video card related.

Any help would be VERY appreciated!!!!!

The only thing I have a clue about is:

1) It might be the NIC

2) It might be the modem

3) It might be the RAM

4) It might be the Mobo

5) It might be software related

This is a recent problem and mainly affects me when I'm online although it is not restricted to IE (appears to be random). I think it might be my NIC because as of this posting I have been online surfing without a lock for considerably longer than normal (since this problem started) and I don't have the drivers loaded for the NIC. However, until recently I could run for hours with the NIC installed without problems. Very frustrating!! Any tips or troubleshooting help would be very beneficial. Thanks!!

Its more plausible that is the memory thing.

Try getting a single 128Mbytes SDRAM PC133 stick. (The PC133/PC100 just in case you are overclocking).

And if you are really sure that the Dual Celeron works cold and well together, try then a single cpu operation, and see whats happens.

Just out of curiosity, what would cause the RAM to act like this all of a sudden? The other thing is, why can I play StarCraft or Unreal Tournament for like 5 hours without a lock up, but when I try to surf the net or just use windows it hard locks?!

a friend of mine had the same problem. it ended up being his agp slot i guess. he tried 3 different agp cards, and then went to an old Ati Rage he had and the lock ups stopped. he's stuck with a voodoo2 right now. :-/

isnt a celeron 500 5x multi and 100 MHz bus? maybe thats the reason ur pc66 ram died.

Actually no. The Celeron 500 is a 7.5 multiplier on a 66Mhz FSB. So that wasn't a problem. Also, I have been using the 100Mhz SDRAM stick mentioned above and the lock just happend again. It took considerably longer than when I had the other sticks in there BUT it did the same thing. I'm beginning to wonder if my Abit board is bad or maybe one/two of my Celeron's are.

Have you tried it without the AWE64 installed, I say this because I've recently experienced exactly the same problem as you and it turned out to be my SB AWE32 - Having recently bought Cubase VST, the card failed all of the tests and actually locked up the machine in the process. I also have a SB Live which is now used for Cubase (the reason for the AWE 32 is the Yamaha DB50XG midi card that piggybacks it) I've disabled the AWE32 for every thing except midi and since then no more lockups. I'm not too convinced by creatives drivers under win 2k for these older cards. This may not be your problem - but it's worth a try.

Check www.bp6.com

If your BP6 is a 1.1 revision you most likely have the dreaded "VOLTAGE BUG".

You can check with Motherboard MOnitor and keep an eye on the +3.3v(I think it's the 3.3v). It should be fluctuating like mad...

check out bp6.com and their forum for more info about this nasty defect.

good luck

mr_yellow