Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
TheSpork

Win2k Adv Server/Active Directory

Ok. We've got this server box, and it runs Advanced Server. We've got it doing Active Directory, because it's fun, manages our network, and makes things a lot easier. Plus it's needed for Exchange 2000, and some other cool toys. Anyway, on to the problem.

It takes an enormously long time to get to the login screen, a good 5 or 6 minutes. It usually is the "preparing network connections" part that takes the long time. Now, I'm almost SURE that before we were doing Active Directory, it NEVER took this long. Anyway, I'm thinking maybe it's just the hardware isn't fast enough, or maybe not enough ram. But that looks really bad on us NT people, because Linux would run no sweat with half this computer!

P2 400

128 megs of ram (minimum, not recommended)

10 gig hard drive

sound card

really cheap 2d graphics card, very old (that wouldn't matter, the preparing connctions screen isn't graphics intensive)

active directory, IIS (one site), no ftp, happens before exchange, DNS, WINS, DHCP, most of the network stuff, can't think of anything else.

**forgot to add 2 nics, 100 megabit**

We've tried disabling a couple services. DHCP server, WINS. We need IIS, and DNS.

Any help would be appreciated, but it just gets annoying. We never reset it, but on the occasion when we're toying around with something that requires resetting, we have to.

[This message has been edited by TheSpork (edited 26 June 2000).]

What does the event viewer say? Any error messages?, Does everything work fine?

What network / WAN are you connected to?

TCP/IP configuration?

How many / what kind of connected clients (W2k, WNT, W9x, Linux, W3.11...)?

How is DNS configured?

Was it a fresh installation / update of NT 4.0 Server?

Is it a "PDS", are there other Domain Servers in your net?

While waiting so long, does it "scratch around" on the HD?

Which NIC´s do you use?

Was it that way the whole time, or did it start at a special time?

Have fun

Llion

I wish I could say something witty, but that behavior is perfectly normal. Starting the root server of an Active Directory forest takes time... The time is somewhat variable depending on which tasks this particular server is delegated, but it sounds like it might be the only one on the network, hence it is processing all the functions of AD.

If you would like, I could elaborate why, but there are some pretty good articles from Windows 2000 Magazine that would explain it, plus I am lazy and don't want to type that much =)

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 26 June 2000).]

ok, well, it is the only server in the group, and we can't exactly get any more. And I guess I like the DrSchmoe answer a lot better, too, it's better than having to answer all those questions. But still,

clean install

only server in the AD

no errors in the log that haven't derived since the problem (exchange 2000 never starts, but that's a different story, it was installed long after AD and the prob)

the cards are two 3com 100Mb, very nice cards

and not sure about hard drive scratching, I can't think right now. Next time it's down, I'll check. But I'm curious where you're going with that.

clients connecting are win2k professional, with a couple win98se (only two (stubborn bastards))

tcp/ip's pretty much default options, DNS has like 5 entries (www, ftp, and a couple others) But the only dns'ing it does is for our email server, we just use register.com's DNS servers because they're conveniant.

And it only started takin so long when AD was installed. I think DrSchmoe was right, it's just it's the only server.

thanks for the help

[This message has been edited by TheSpork (edited 26 June 2000).]

Well, as far as I see from your informations, now I also guess that the behaviour is 'normal'.

The bootup time seems very long to me, though, mine doesnt need 1/3 of the time, and it seems to run the same things. What could still be an answer to your problem, test it with more RAM. I am runnning mine with 768 Meg (it´s a develloping / SQL-Server with PIII 450) and I noticed an enourmous boost when switching from 256 to 512 Meg. So I just can phantasize how bad it could be with 128 MB only.

Have fun

Llion

I had a problem like yours, only 2000 server DC in the network (a network that had a DNS implemented), and the problem was resolved making the old DNS server capable of dynamic updates (that where disabled). Anyway, a Server is a machine that has not to be rebooted many times...

Another thing...Add RAM!

(Now for the laughs....my server is a k6 233 with 96 MB of RAM, and it boots in 2 or 3 minutes.....misteries of life!)