Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
windyhills

I need ipod help!!!

My ipod cannot be recognized as a USB device because the Window Hardware Update Wizard cannot find the correct software to install it. HELP!!! I have tried everything...I have the latest version of itunes...what other software could I need??? My digital camera and other device still work properly.

I am using Windows XP and my ipod is an Ipod Nano 3rd generation, it is only a year old.

The ipod does not show up under USB Controller, but it shows up under unknown devices. When I first started having problems, I used the Apple article to uninstall the ipod, and now windows needs updated software to reinstall it, but no matter where I tell it to install the drivers from, it cant find the software

Did you mean uninstall the ipod, or update the drivers? If update, did it complete?

Did you also try to reinstall the USB drivers, as noted in the article? if so

Try resetting the ipod by holding the center button and the menu button at the same time till you see the apple sign.

If this does not work I have one more thing to try.

I uninstalled the ipod, and now windows needs to updated software or drivers to reinstall it. I thought maybe my windows drivers were out of date, which they were, so I updated all of them and it is still not working. I tried installing the drivers like the article recommends, but when the Windows hardware Update Wizard pops up(when I plug in my ipod) and I tell it to search for the software, it can't find it...It seems to want a CD of something???

Basically my problem is much like the article, but when I get to the very last step("Windows will search and automatically update the drivers") it cant find the needed software

Did you try all the steps outlines to update the drivers as outlined in the article, including pointing the search to the Windows/INF folder, or reinstall the drivers and scan for hardware changes?

Also, did you try resetting the ipod?

Yes, I followed all of the steps...ipod isn't even listed under USB Contrllers as the article says it would be.

I tried resetting the ipod, uninstalling itunes, up[censored] the windows drivers...everything that any "support article" has suggested. I have also talked with Windos twice..no luck.

When I read through one windows article, it says that I "need to obtain an updated driver from the device manufacturer" but as far as I have been told, itunes is the only needed software for ipods...is this true??? I really think I just need some kind of ipod software or driver(other than itunes) to fix the problem

Thanks so much for helping

OK, try the following in order until (hopefully) it works.

1. If the Device Manager shows "unknown Device" uninstall the device. Leave the ipod plugged in to the computer and reboot. If the ipod is found good.

2. If the new hardware wizard pops up, point it to C:\Windows\System32 and see if the driver is found. If so good. If not;

3. Try another USB port on the back of the computer. Do not use a USB port on the front case. Make sure that it is another USB port that you used your camera or other USB device in previously.

5. If this does not work, try the steps in response # 3 here. Again, make sure to use a USB port on the back of the machine not used before by any other USB device, if possible.