Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Sensei

Lets Get to the Bottom of This!

Ok. I know that a lot of us have been having the same problem. It's the problem with any Nvidia drivers past 3.66. Basically, I get random lockups in my games with any of the latest drivers and even the occasional one with 3.66, but much much rarer. I've heard many solutions such as your RAM brands have to match..I've tried that...same problem. I've heard that completely clean installs work...nope. I've done that too. That's not it. Lets start trying to narrow this down. My system is as follows:

AMD Athlon 650

Gigabyte 7IX

160 MB PC100

Guillemot Xentor 32

Diamond MX300

Pete

Well, I've had this problem for ages as well...although I only have one Dimm so not too sure on brands matching.

Clean installs...I've tried that as well, to no avail. It may just be a continuation of those good ole Athlon/GeForce chipset problems with older Athlon mobos, but given the fact the newer mobos all have problems of one sort or another (my Abit KA7 didnt like my memory, couldnt afford anymore so off that went back), I haven't been able to actually try a aystem for a while on one.

Shame really, Win2k is rock solid in every other aspect.

-Ex-

I also got random lock ups..., I don't know if you have the same problem, but I sent my machine to the vendor and he just put the Voodoo 3 jumper on giving my GeForce some more juice.

In the end, I had to pay 15 $ because "my system did work ok" and I was left without the random lockups =)

Maybe it's your Motherboard, like mine, that doesn't support the voltage necessary for the GeForce, maybe it's your power supply (considering that an Athlon uses a lot, but who am I talking to, you know that I guess).

So if you get the chance to try out a bigger Power Supply, well, do it.

------------------

My system specs:

PIII 600E @ 800 , 160mb PC100 3-3-3, Creative GeForce DDR, SBLive (never had any problems with it, yet. Liveware 2K works very fine for me), 15 GB IBM, Gigabyte BX2000@133, WinTV primio, Pioneer DVD 10x, Iiyama VM 451 (1280x1024@100Hz smile.

[This message has been edited by Iasius (edited 21 June 2000).]

The thing is...how can it be the power supply or the video card not getting enough juice if it works flawlessly in Windows 98 or Windows Millennium?

Pete

Sensei's right, mine worked fine in '98 as well, plus I just bought a new 300W PS and nothing was fixed. In Win98 I could get 2x perfectly, but in Win2k I get lockups unless it's running in PCI mode!! For what it's worth I tend to think the fault lies somewhere with the AMD751 AGP miniport driver for Win2k because my brother got his system to work fine with a KA7 and a Geforce (everything except the mobo are the same). I've tried 5.02 on Asus or Soyo's site but they didn't help. Has anybody tried the beta service pack and knows if that fixes it??

My System:

AMD Athlon 550

Gigabyte 7IX

128 MB PC100

Asus Geforce DDR

Diamond MX300

+ 300 Watt Power supply.

------------------

- Andrew

I'm sorry that should have said a K7V that my brother has, my mistake.

I'm beginning to think you're right about the AMD-751 AGP miniport driver being the cause of the problem. frown Really, there is nothing we can do about it either except buy a new motherboard. I just don't see AMD releasing AGP miniport drivers anytime soon.

Pete