Biatche

Dual P3

Hi again,

I am thinking of buying a new system with these components:

2X PIII-733MHz Processor

Dual P3 MB of course

18.2 GB Scsi HD

a soundcard <duh>

ATI RADEON 256 (not released yet though)

256 MB RAM - brand, type recommendations?

19" monitor

a good network card

i will be using win2k

please recommend me the specific brands/models i should purchase.

i don't want an over expensive machine.. just a reasonable one - and a good one.

aureal is kinda dead and I don't trust creative in any case. So.. what soundcard should I get?

anyway.. i've thought of getting this..

" Tyan Thunder 2400 "... seems good from my point of view... just that it only supports PC100 SDRAM.

Anyways, recommendations?

Here is my system and it works perfectly with W2K.

My System:

Dual 850's

256 Megs ram

Tyan Thunder 2400 - 840 Chipset

All Scsi System

Adaptec - Ultra 160 Controller Card

1 - 18 Gig Ultra 160 Cheetah

2 - 18 Gig U2W - Cheetah

1 - 9 Gig Ultra 160 - Cheetah

Plextor 40x Ultra Wide Cdrom Drive

Plextor 14/4/32 - Burner

Sony 10x DVD Drive

CL SB Live

Hercules 64 Meg Geforce

I'm interested in Dual CPU since win2k supports it =)

But i don't know which mother board to buy.

Ronin or anyone- is the Tyan Thunder 2400 any good? i don't know much about the 840 chipset . Can someone explain about the 840 chipset plz?

I don't want any on-board LAN or SCSI, so is there any other good MB?

------------------

SupaC™

PIII 550E

Abit BE6-II

Samsung 256MB RAM

IBM 20G UDMA66 7200RPM

IBM 10G UDMA33 7200RPM

Pioneer 10X DVD

Yamaha 6x4x16 CD-RW

Diamond Viper V770 Ultra

CL SBLive! Value

Hollywood+ DVD Decoder

WIN2K

Taken directly from Intel.

The Intel® 840 chipset was specifically designed to meet the needs of high performance multi-processor systems. The 840 chipset, together with the latest Intel® Pentium® III or Intel® Pentium® III Xeon™ processors, provides new levels of performance, scalability, and end user productivity.

A New Design with Big Benefits

The Intel 840 chipset utilizes the new modular design of the 800 family of chipsets. Like other 800 series chipsets, the 840 chipset has two core components:

The 82840 Memory Controller Hub (MCH) differentiates the Intel 840 chipset from other Intel 800 series chipsets. The MCH provides graphics support for AGP 2X/4X, dual RDRAM* memory channels, and multiple PCI segments for high performance I/O.

The 82801 I/O Controller Hub (ICH) utilizes Intel® Hub Architecture to make a direct connection to the MCH. The ICH supports 32-bit PCI, IDE controllers and dual USB ports.

In addition to providing high performance, the Intel 840 chipset was designed for scalability. Two components may be used with the core components:

The 82806 64-bit PCI Controller Hub (P64H) supports 64-bit PCI slots at speeds of either 33 or 66 MHz. The P64H connects directly to the MCH using Intel Hub Architecture, providing a dedicated path for high performance I/O.

For systems needing high RDRAM capacity, an 82803 RDRAM-based memory repeater hub (MRH-R) may be utilized. The MRH-R converts each memory channel into two memory channels for expanded memory capacity.

New Features Maximize Performance

Dual memory channels, operating in lock-step, provide up to 3.2 GB/s of memory bandwidth.

A 16-bit wide implementation of Intel Hub Architecture allows high performance concurrent PCI I/O with a P64H.

The Direct AGP port provides up to 1 GB/s of graphics bandwidth.

Supports processors using a 133 MHz system bus.

A prefetch cache, unique to the 840 chipset, allows highly efficient data flow and helps maximize system concurrency.

Now I can say that I would reather be using a BX board, but if you want support for all the new **** out there then you have to go with something with the 840 chipset.

My Tyan Thunder 2400 is working just great.

Quote:
Originally posted by Biatche:
Hi again,
I am thinking of buying a new system with these components:
2X PIII-733MHz Processor
Dual P3 MB of course
18.2 GB Scsi HD
a soundcard <duh>
ATI RADEON 256 (not released yet though)
256 MB RAM - brand, type recommendations?
19" monitor
a good network card

i will be using win2k

please recommend me the specific brands/models i should purchase.
i don't want an over expensive machine.. just a reasonable one - and a good one.

aureal is kinda dead and I don't trust creative in any case. So.. what soundcard should I get?

anyway.. i've thought of getting this..
" Tyan Thunder 2400 "... seems good from my point of view... just that it only supports PC100 SDRAM.

Anyways, recommendations?

I would recommending waiting till the end of 2000. If you MUST upgrade then I would go with the BX line because they have never failed me yet. I did try the i840 chipsets. Nothing but a pure dissapointment! The RAM must be RAMBUS or you won't get 100% compatibility with PC-100 or PC-133 RAM. But for my situation I had to upgrade. So I got the Supermico P6DBE( http://www.supermicro.com/PRODUCT/MotherBoards/440BX/p6dbe.htm ). Also the Tyan Tiger 100 ( http://www.tyan.com/products/html/tiger100_p.html ) is good also. They have never failed me once smile

------------------
Supermicro P6DBE Rev 3.0 Motherboard
Dual Intel Pentium III 850
512 MEGS of ECC RAM
Sound Blaster Live!
Adaptec 29160 SCSI Card
GeForce 2 GTS 64MB
IBM DMVS18N Ultra 160 Hard Drive
Western Digital 20.5GB Hard Drive
Razer Boom Slang 2000 (USB)
Roland Sound Canvis SC-55
3COM 3CR990-TX-97 with 3XP Processor 10/100 PCI Network Interface Card