Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
njclay2004

Generic USB Key Not Recognized

Long time lurker, first time poster here. =)

Long story short, I have some generic USB Keys that work on XP Home and Professional boxes but NOT MCE. Media Center is fully updated, SP3, patched and all. The Mobo's been updated, as has the BIOS... I've installed and uninstalled and reinstalled drivers to no avail. My less generic USB keys work perfectly fine on the same MCE box. Is this just a known issue with Windows MCE?

Specs:

HP Pavilion dv6105us

1.61 GHz AMD Turion 64 Mobile

2GB RAM

Windows XP - Media Center Edition (SP3)

If you need more info, just ask. =)

When you say that it isn't recognized, are you receiving a message that says that? Or is it that the drivers get installed, but it doesn't show up as a drive?

If it's the latter, then here's a solution I've found to work with USB keys having this issue. Plug the key in, open up Device Manager, expand the USB section, right-click USB Mass Storage and select Uninstall. After that completes, unplug the key and plug it back in. This usually works for me.

I've also seen a problem if mapped network drives take up the drive that the key was originally assigned to. For instance, the key used to be drive E:, but then a network folder was mapped to drive E:, so the key would not show up as a drive, although it was recognized.

Unfortunately, I'm receiving the message that says it's unrecognized. Going into my Device Manager verifies it and searching for the driver both automatically (thru the New Device Wizard) and manually does me no good.

Also, nothing's been mapped to the drive letters in question; I usually keep them open specifically for Mass Storage Devices. =/