Compatible Support Forums
Dan78

Parallel Port Driver

I'm new here, and I don't know very much about computer hardware.

I recently acquired a transceiver chip from Texas Instruments. Included with the chip was a software package: SmartRF Studio software. It didn't come on a CD-ROM; I had to download it from the website.

When I try to start up the SmartRF Studio software on the lab computer, I'm getting this error message:

"Unable to load the parallel port driver!"

When I click OK, I get this message:

"Not able to initiate parallel port."

I just talked with a women at Texas Instruments, and she pointed me to the application notes that they have for the CC1000 chip on their website.

Here is the link:

http://focus.ti.com/docs/prod/folders/print/cc1000.html

I don't think there is a problem with the SmartRF Studio software.

All I know about this is that the chip and computer "talk" via the parallel port. I'm guessing that the "driver" is some kind of software needed in the computer to properly interface the computer with the actual voltages and currents of the parallel port. Perhaps, I need to download a parallel port driver on this computer.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to resolve this problem?

You make mention that this is the "lab" computer. So, I assume that this is not your system? Could the parallel port be disabled in the bios or in Windows?

So, is the parallel port listed in device manager (com & LPT)? Does Device manager properties state that the hardware has loaded a driver and is working properly?

If no, is the parallel port turned off in the bios?

If the parallel port is fine, then maybe it is a software problem. Do you have the latest version of the software?