Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Boyd

Restart & Shutdown to Black Screen

This is a weird one. When I click on start, then shutdown, and choose either "restart the computer" or "shut down the computer", it goes through all the motions that it should and then just sits there and gives me a blank screen. On the shutdown, it may very well be trying to diplay "it is now safe to shut off your computer", but I can't see nuthin. If I hit the reset button at this point, it reboots up OK without going through diskcheck. I could probably live with this, except when I want it to "restart", it doesn't restart ! Has anybody out there in the free world had or heard of this problem before ?? Thanks in advance for any helpful suggestions.

I had that problem for a while the only way i was able to fix it was to reinstall windows 2000, you could try running sfc /scannow to see if any files are damaged or missing

OK, I figured out the problem. It ended being my Ultra66 controller card. I'm runnin a super7 mobo, and it only supports ATA-33, but my drive is ATA-66, thus the controller card. Once I connected everything back to my mobo controllers, it restarts and reboots from Win2k just fine. Bye-bye Ultra66.

Yes, i'm having the exact same problem here!

I have an Asus P3v4X mobo and i got one of my hdd's attached to the udma66 controler and i boot my os on my uw-Scsi. I never had these kind of weird symptoms before i kinda installed those VIA chipset drivers. But i'm not really sure that they are to blame here, might as well be something else. I don't quite remmember what i did that day when it first started. One thing though, once it goes down to this "black screen" you can't push the "power off" button on the computer either!! I always have to choose, shutdown - wait till the back screen - push reset button - wait till bios popups - push power off. Weird thing. I guess i ought to try that SP1beta out or something, maybe that'd fix this.

Oh well life is full of problems...

Uninstall those new VIA drivers. I had nothing but problems with those on my system, even though my mobo manufacturer says they are compatible with my board. Good luck.

Hey, back in the house again!!

I'm back from a lot of hours with sweat and curses. Actually i've reinstalled my entire OS and everything and everything works just great now. Actually i kinda installed the VIA drivers once again and they are not the "badguy" in this case. I still can't figure out though what caused this from the begining. But i'll be sure to let you guys know if i do figure it out.

"Windows - Just another word for reinstall":P