Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
herb

256 MB - BSOD ??

Hi,

I have an Abit BE6 with cel300a@450 and 128 MB PC100. Now I bought another 128 MB PC133. When I use both memory sticks at once, I get a BSOD in W2k shortly after booting. I tried the most conservative bios settings and every possible combination of the memory slots (the be6 has 3). I also tried an old 32 MB PC66 module. There are no problems with any combination with this and the PC100 or PC100 module.

Is their a general problem with mixing PC100 and PC133 modules? What can I try to make things work?

Thanks,

herb

The PC133 alone works well. It also works with my old PC66 module. At the moment, I have this combination in my box without any troubles. My System just doesn't seem to like the two 256 MB modules at once.

I hate to say it but I always stick memory sticks of exactly the same type in my motherboard slots. By this I mean EXACTLY - same company - same speed etc.

This is the only sure fire way that you can ensure than the modules you fit will cooperate. It also ensures than you get 100% relability from your modules (assuming that they're not faulty of course).

I just wonder if people are using their brain before throwing the cash away... frown

Can you try to skip a DIMM slot instead of placing them both together? And also, try to exchange the position of the SDRAM. It solve my problem on several of occasion.

If problem persist, go to CMOS setting, enable Auto Spread spectrum and also set the memory timing to CAS 3 instead of CAS 2.

And set the memory as 10 ns instead of BY SPD or 7 ns.

When you get your system running stabily, you can enable back those features. Set it back to 7 ns, CAS 2, Auto spread spectrum leave it on. I don't know why, i just can't explain it. Maybe your system need some times to get used to the new environment smile