Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Steve B

Win2k CD key in the registry somewhere??

I was going to install Win2k pro on an older bos that I have to serve as an ICS server for my cable modem. The problem is when I went to set it up, I realized that I have somewhere lost my CD key for it! shockedfrown I have searched the registry on my machine that is running Win2k right now and haven't found much luck finding anything. So is there a software program out there or some registry key somewhere that will tell me what my key is or am I screwed? TIA.

Oh gee thanks I hadn't realized that. The first time I installed it, I just punched in numbers and letters randomly until it let me through. Took about 4 days, but I eventually got it. ;(

Anyone please??

sounds like a pirate. ahoy matey I say walk da plank

Oh, eat it. I'll mail you the orignal CD if you want, I just need to know if it is anywhere on the system. frown

I think a real pirate would be smart egnough to go to a War*z board and ask for it, If you need the serial just call Bill Gates.

"A honorable pirate is as common as a left handed samurai."

Did you register Win 2K when you bought it? The only reason I ask is that you might be abble to ring Microsoft Customer Services, quote your registration number or name and address, and it might be possible for them to generate you a new cd key. Other than that you may be able to return the original cd - prooving purchase which would also allow them to give you a new number.

It's infuriating when this happens - I've been through the same situation with Win 95 many years ago.

Try typing in all 1's. I don't know if it works in 2K, but it does in NT.

AFAIK, the "all 1's" trick only worked when MS was using 10 digit cd-keys, i.e. 111-1111111. I don't think there is a quick and easy key to remember for the 20-digit codes. Better get on the phone with MS......

Can anybody tell me what mpg3 player I should use to read .nfo files???

Oups, off topic... wink

mpg3 player? how about notepad... .nfo isnt an extension of sound file as far as i know...

[This message has been edited by tristan777 (edited 14 May 2000).]