Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Exorcist

Mess :(

Changed me motherboard from an Asus K7M to the K7V - formatted and reinstalled Windows 2000, which works fine until I try to upgrade the GeForce drivers then it refused to boot up and just reboot before the login screen continually - I tried again, but taking the new memory dimm out and putting the old ones in - same problems.

So I put the K7M back in, reinstalled Windows 2000 - seemed to go ok....but now I keep getting program crashes, and instant reboots (Ive only just changed the option so it doesnt do that)...whats going on? - is it worth running the repair option? - what exactly does that do - do I need to reinstall my hardware/apps?

frown

Exorcist

--

AMD Athlon 700Mhz

128MB PC100 x2, and 256MB PC133 x1

32MB DDR GeForce

SbLive! Platinum

Well, using my old K7M board and 2x128PC100 with 1x256PC133 dimms - I kept getting continual program crashes and reboots - taking the PC133 dimm out and reinstalled Win2k and its back to being as stable as a very stable thing..

Is that buggered memory? - or putting the 2 memory speeds together? - I'm a little confused.

Exorcist

The memory might be bad. Or they just don't like each other. Try using just the pc 133 and see what happens. If everything is good then the ram is good but not with each other. I have heard problems on some boards using 256 meg ram chips. Maybe if you get 2 128 meg ram chips might help also.

Well, I took the 256mb dimm out and put it back to how it was - that worked fine...it seems the K7V didn't like several things in my setup, namely my DVD card (apparently) and my GeForce card.

So I then just stuck my K7M back in, with the 256mb dimm - seems to be working ok - but I got a lot of baggage from the old mb - so I have to format "again"

Grrrr - 2 days messing about with motherboards and cards, formatting and stuff - and the only difference now is changing 2 memory dimms to 1... frown

Exorcist

Hey exorcist I am having the same proablem with the K7 on the new K7V board I have 256 of pc 133 ram um I have the 3d prophet with DDR geforce card and I cant get this **** to install the drivers for the card everytime I put drivers it never boots all the way I get a blank screen after the second windows2000 load up window this is making me extremly mad and I dont want to take all this stuff back!! I guess I have to go to win98se(BAH!!) till they fix this proablem!!!

It really sucks to have a superior cpu and not have everything work out of the box. Blame the chipset guys maybe.

Maximum PC did a review of athlon boards not long ago, and the one board that had no problems with any hardware they put in it, (2940OU2, V2 sli, V770Ultra, shotgun modem, X-gamer, usb scanner and usb mouse) was the Microstar 6167. This was done under win9x, but may be the same under win2k.

I realize you already have boards, but the one consistent problem with Athlon m/b's is the hardware support. If all else fails, and your boards are still under warranty, take them back and try out a Microstar.

Hold on a second.

Try to tweak around in the BIOS, under chipset configuration. Try to enable spread spectrum and Auto SPD configuration, it should solve the problem. Alternatively also slow down the memory speed a little (CAS 3)

Or place your memory in a different order, or skip a memory slot in between.

I have a lot of experience with this problem before with quite a few motherboard which is very picky about my RAM, I basically apply this steps, and it just works up. Later in the day, I put everything back to the optimum setting again, and funny enough everything works again, no trouble at all.

The motherboard sounds so human, after certain time, they get accustom to the RAM, and they begin to take them without problem. Weirdo.

Hello, everyone

don´t be cross with me - but you guys seem simply unfair to me.

I am in IT business myself, and I often see the results of that overclocking hype.

There is such a lot of people trying to make an idiot of their dealers, overclocking and then giving the damaged part back as a warranty case. Did you ever think of the dealer / manufacturer?

Imagine, someone manipulates YOUR well done work and then tries to sew you. The dealer has a lot of extra work to do (and the risk not to get the exchanged part replaced by the manufacturer) and the manufacturer has simply done good work and someone tries to sew him. Hmm..does this look OK??

If you think you have to o´clock your hardware and then it fails (although you knew about the risks - and don´t tell me you didn´t) then be man enough to face the fact that YOU and no one else has made a mistake and take the only fair consequence: you have to buy a new one (or let the old one get repaired).

I also can´t ruin my kitchen knife cutting steel with it (if it´s not made for it) and then betray others to get it exchanged - at least not if I try to keep honest.

Have fun

Llion

I spent 5 minutes looking at all these posts to see where on Earth you got this overclocking nonsense from, yes your point is valid but has nothing to do with my original post, or indeed any of the replies.

I haven't overclocked my setup, I never have done and most probably never will, it was a question for help to try and get it working, the simple fact was that the K7V didn't like my GeForce or DVD card, meaning I have to wait for the next gen cards to come out or proper Win2000 drivers before I switch motherboards. For now I'm quite happy with my K7M/5.13 Drivers.

Exorcist

Not sure what it is, but problems between the GeForce and the K7V have been well documented and numerous frown

Getting myself one of those spanking new Abit KA7s maybe, and then have to decide between the GeForce 2 and the Voodoo 5, which one will be it? wink

Ex

Hmm.. never heard that it's well documented. Where ya read it? Any URL for me so i miht find a solution...? Hmm... And i find it funny that Asus 6800 Dlx shouldn't wrk on an Asus mobo... =) Kinda absurd if that's the case. And it does wrk in Win98 but not Win2k so I thing it's the IRQ's fuqing.

Hey there.

I also have a K7V but I only have a TNT2U card.

Everything is fine until I go to update the nvidia drivers in 2000.

I tried 3.84 and on reboot I only got a blank screen.

"Last Known Good" got me back in using the default 2000 TNT driver. and all is well again.

Then tried the 3.78 drivers and on reboot it worked!

However, if I reboot, there is a good chance that I will get a BSOD in NTOSKERNEL and it reboots...them it may get into 2000 after that.

There is no pattern to this so now I am not rebooting the system at all if I can help it.

Stanby works fine so I use that.

The point is that these blank screen and reboot crashes all seem to be related to the NVIDIA drivers.

I have, over time, tried lots of driver levels but still the problems persist.

I will try those BIOS changes suggested above an see if that helps, but in the end we need some push by NVIDIA on this.

Take care all...comments welcome.