Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mrZoSo

XP Pro won't share My Documents with XP Home

I had to set up basically a simple network for two computers to be able to share the My Documents folder.

XP Pro can get in to Home with no problems.

Home can't get into Pro, getting access denied. I set the security and share to allow full control to "Everyone" in the Pro system and still get the message.

Do I need to add the specific machine(Home system) to the security and share on the Pro system?

One other thing, the person using the Pro system logs in as the Administrator, I was wondering if this is making a difference as well, compared to logging in as a user with admin rights.

Thank You

Regardless of the name of the user, if the user has admin rights, then it won't make a difference.

As for the sharing issues, check the Pro's firewall and ensure that File and Print Sharing is enabled as an exception. See if that helps.

They are using the actual XP Pro administrator account, not a user named administrator.

(who ever set the system up, before they called me shouldn't have done that, as far as I'm concerned)

File & Print Sharing is enabled, Firewall is set with the exception.

Are both computers on the same workgroup and is the Pro system set up for simple file sharing (not disabled), as noted here?

As per this article (http://www.practicallynetworked.com/sharing/xp_filesharing/), Windows XP Home only supports simple file sharing, while XP Pro can make use of ACL lists, although simple file sharing is on by default. This may be the reason why Pro can access Home's shared documents, but not vice versa.

You might be better off removing all of the shares and starting over, unless you find something in the related link of the above mentioned site which can help you. The link may seem silly or possibly insulting, but I have a feeling that this is something very simple that we're overlooking.

I added the security tab to Home, it's fairly simple. Got home to see pro now.

Thanks for the replies.