Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Lord Belial

Any good TV Tuners?

Does anyone know if the 3DFX TV tuner works in 2000? I know the WinTV series works but they really suck. And the ATI-TV Wonder won;t have drivers until March. Any recommendations?

Lord - My WinTV PCI (I have the dbx stereo & FM model) works great in Win2k. I picked up a WinTV Go and it was a piece of crap but this card is very stable and is well supported (at least compared to the TV Wonder I have) by the manufacturer.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

Ive got a VooDoo 3 3500 T.V. installed on my wife's computer with Win 2K. I installed it with 3dfx 2k betas and it has been running flawless for 3 weeks now. Also as far as I can tell 3d performance has been running smooth. ATI TV Wonder has the same tuner. (Phillips) Kicks butt!!!

You didn't by any chance get the TV Wonder running in Windows 2000 did you?

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

My Freind has that card and says it works if you upgrade the drivers from the ATI site.

------------------

Dont be afraid to face the unknown!!

Quote:
Originally posted by RattDawg:
My Freind has that card and says it works if you upgrade the drivers from the ATI site.

The only problem is that there are no Windows 2000 drivers for the TV Wonder on ATI's site. Would you ask your friend how he managed this? Thanks a lot :-)

------------------
Shrink

PIII 450@504
SBlive Value
Voodooo3 3000 AGP
Windows 2000 Pro Retail

My Bad,

I misunderstood him when we was talking about that he has reinstalled 98 to get it to work (he had duel monitor issues as well) but says ATI should have drivers soon. I do know that 3dfx's beta driver runs extremely well and they use the same tuner. Sorry for the misunderstanding smile

------------------

No problem - from what I have heard, ATI won't be releasing a driver for the TV Wonder until Q3. I wouldn't hold my breath - they said that Version 2 of the TV software was going to be released around 9 months before it was actually released.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

That sucks, I want to use my ati tv tuner already. I haven't used it since I got the stupid thing. This is pretty pathetic... I mean, EVERY other popular operating system has driver for the tv tuner. Even BEOS has the for crying out loud. Hehe..ATI should get a move on their drivers. Btw, it's only the ATI All-in-wonder *PRO* that they are releasing drivers for, they simply refuse to support the original All-in-wonder.

I definitely agree. It blew me away when I installed BeOS that it automatically detected the TV Wonder and I could watch TV with it, just with the built-in software. I really wish there was a generic Brooktree/Phillips TV/Vidcap program and drivers so that we would not have to be put on hold like this. The worse thing is that Win2k reference drivers for the BT878/9 are out there but no existing app will work with them well in Win2k because each app detects the actual brand of TV Card and will not work if it finds any other card than the one that is manufactured by that company. I bought a WinTV and am selling the TV Wonder - any takers?

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I have heard that there is a work around for the ATI tuner. And as far as I can tell it is working on my freind's system. Im afraid that I dont know the specifics yet but Ill prod into the issue further and post when I find out....Later

------------------

Rattdawg - if you find it and it works I will be one happy camper. I know that there is a workaround which involves installing reference drivers and then another app for TV but that the audio doesn't work. Please let us know if you find out something different. Thanks a lot :-)

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Yeah, I'd love to get the tuner working. If you could find out a good hack, you'd be da man! smile

The program called PowerVCR works AWSOME. Even lets you do mpeg capture. Problem is that it isnt free. But if you want to watch TV in 2000, I say pick it up until the drivers come out. (ATI says the drivers for the AIW pro should be out tommorow or monday...im not holding my breath)

--Now inc

------------------

Now inc.

http://www.now-incorporated.com

now - sure would be nice of ATI released TV Wonder drivers for that time. Does PowerVCR have generic Brooktree drivers? Thanks!

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

The PowerVCR is the fix that Ive heard works, though not sure what drivers its running on.