Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
MojoMagic

BP6, QQ BIOS (final) and W2K solution

Like many other BP6 owners on this board, I decided to flash my BIOS from the QQ (beta) to the QQ (final) versions.

After doing this, most people seem to fall into 1 of 2 categories.

a) Everything works dandy and everybody's happy.

B) Windows refuses to boot and your PC is stuck in a reboot-loop.

I unfortunately, like may others, found myself in the latter category.

After many a reboot I acted on a hunch and looked at the power management settings in the BIOS. Low and behold, when the BP6 BIOS is flashed, all settings revert to their default values... Including ACPI power management, which seems to default to "disabled". Most of us BP6ers have installed W2K with ACPI support. So when W2K boots and tries to access it, it fails. Miserably.

The beauty is that the solution to my (and hopefully many others) problems was simply to set ACPI (first option under Power Management in the BIOS - from memory) to "Enabled". W2K booted first go, and hasn't given me any fuss since.

Hope this helps someone out there.

PS: I have an internal WinModem 56K X2 (V.90 compat), that I got with my Dell XPS D333, that W2K identifies as a "3Com Windows Modem TI". It used to work fine under 98. Under W2K it dials and handshakes fine. But then complains that there was "no answer when opening the port". Anyone else have a similar issue? I'm currently running off a borrowed 28.8 and it's driving me insane. I'd appreciate any and all hlp on this matter.

Thanks.

Have you experienced the "SMP Problem" that others have mentioned? People were reporting that 1 CPU shows 50% load even at idle. I have been very nervous about messing with mine, since it seems to work ok w/ the second beta.

------------------

C366@550 x 2, Abit BP6, 192mb PC100

Voodoo3 3000, SBLive Value, Hollywood+, Hauppauge WinTV

Linksys 10/100, Generic 56k modem

IBM 20.5gb 7200, WD 18gb 7200 on HPT366

Pioneer 104s, HP7200i

Win98se/Win2k dual

I had the problem with one CPU running at 50% only when i installed the new bios, and loaded the windows driver for ACPI.

Currently i am running with the new bios with the windows MPS multi-processor driver.

If anybody has any more information on this, let me know. I don't understand why when running ACPI, my 2nd processor is at 50% when nothing is running....

Thanks

BlaZeR2

Yeah. I DID notice the 50% idle. But it wasn't totally hogging one CPU. It was more a 70/30 affair, with the second CPU taking most of the grunt.

While the idle CPU time was @ 50% (bad), it didn't seem to slow the system down when I actually ran something. It also seemed pretty stable.

Having said that, I still didn't trust it. So I reflashed back to the 2nd BETA just-in-case.

my problem is after flashing to final, my bp6 crash all the time, fixed it by flashing back to QQbeta01

Can Somebody please Email the beta QQ bios please, I would like to try it instead of the final

Thanks

jshupp@graftononline.net

BlaZeR2

I never used ACPI so i didnt have any trouble. MPS 1.4 seems to make q3 run better in smp mode..