Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
BladeRunner

2 Quick HD related questions

Hi,

Two real quick questions I'm sure you guys will be able to answer.

1. Is ATA-4 the same as ATA-66?

I bought a HD a while back that was advertised as ATA-66, when I have subsequently checked the specifications on the manufacturers web page I'm told it's ATA-4.

2. Under Win98 you know if you are running in say ATA-33 mode by checking the DMA boxes under the Hard Drive properties.

How do you know/set the same thing up for Win2000 or is it all done automatically?

Cheers again people.

What I meant to add to the bottom of the previous post was:

It is an IBM Deskstar 22GXP

At the top of the page for this drive: http://www.storage.ibm.com/hardsoft/diskdrdl/desk/ds22gxp.htm

It says 'Highlights' - Interface-Ultra-ATA/66

But if you scroll down to the bottom of the page under product specs it says:

Interface: ATA-4

I guess an e-mail to IBM would give me the definitive answer.

To answer your question. Yes. ATA-4 is the same as UDMA-66. I just bought 2 new Maxtor 7200rpm UDMA-66 and when I boot up and my HPT366 bios comes up, it has my drives listed and then ATA Mode 4.

Now my question is to you. Are you running the drive on a controller that supports UDMA66 or just UDMA33? If it is on a standard controller then goto system...hardware....device manager...then (your controller)...then (the channel it is on)...then advanced settings. Then set it is DMA if available. Then Ok. Then reboot.

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes I am running on an ATA-66 controller.

It's the on-board HPT-366 controller on the ABit BE6-II MB.

Win2000 obviously sees this controller as a SCSI device, but nowhere in the properties for the controller can I see the option to enable DMA transfer or similar.

As a follow up question:

Later today I will have two ATA-66 HD's, the IBM 22GB unit mentioned above, and also a 20.5GB IBM unit.

As my DVD, CD-RW & ZIP are all SCSI, running off an Adaptec 2940, I don't need any of the standard IDE controllers enabled on my motherboard.

Would I get a performance increase if I ran each of my ATA-66 IBM drives off of their own channel on the motherboard?

Or should I just do the usuall slave/master configuration on the primary ATA-66 channel?

Any device put on a 66 controller is already set to use DMA by default. If a device doesn't like being on the 66 controller, it's most likely because it does not support DMA.