Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aragorn

Dual PIII + Win2K

I have Dual PIII 550@625MHz with P2B-D motherboard (last bios). The task manager say me that the Kernel cpu/times take 20% of the first processor, 80% of the second. Before the PIII, I had dual PII 400@450, and the CPU/times was only 1% per processors. What happens?

------------------

Aragorn

It's ok... Last week, I download bios v1012 for P2B-D, today, the last version is 1009, and this one work perfectly (after a réinstalation of win2K). Thanks (I'm Happy) smile

Hi Aragorn,

the answer is simple, the Asus P2B-D and P2B-DS aren't really ACPI capable. The problem is confirmed by Asus and either you have to send your board back to Asus or you have to change one thing on your board. There are instructions to do that, but at the moment I haven't the URL here. I will post it later.

------------------

=DC=JFK

[*]Programmer of the HA Webboard

[*]Member of the IndyProject

[*]Member of the Action Quake Clan =DC=

[*]Redakteur im GamersNetwork

[/list:u]

So... My problems aren't finished. To sum up, I first installed v1012 bios two weeks ago, it used 50% of my CPU time. Then, I got, the v1009 bios, which fixed this problem. But two other problems appeared (it's possible that they existed before). The first one is a blue screen which shows after a long period of non-use of my PC. The second problem is the random closing of my applications. Particularly 3D Studio MAX r3, When I run a scene, it shuts down on loading (at best on rendering). Same for Quake3 for example (even though this happens more rarely). I have just downloaded the new v1012 bios from the Asus site . I installed it, and now, the CPU time bug seems to be fixed, but the two other bugs are still here.

Here is the description of my hardware:

P2B-D (bios 1012)

Dual PIII 550@617MHz (512 cache)

384Mo Ram (1x256 + 1*128, 7 nano)

Matrox G400 dual Head (Latest Bios, Latest Drivers for win2K)

Adaptec 2940u2w (Latest Bios)

Creative SB platinium (I haven't installed Liveware for win2K, too many bugs)

Only SCSI disk (nothing on IDE)

------------------

Aragorn