Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mello_j

Flashing BIOS..dos prompt

Hey i have an Asus K7m m/b, and i want to flash it to ver 1008, cause of the Super by-pass feature

but it says i have to create a boot disk, and boot to DOS,

i am running win 2k Pro, and it says i have to run the program MAke boot....i do that but i get 3 Disks, and they try to reinstall windows, or some recovery center

how they hell do i just load a command prompt in Win 2K, the only option that says command prompt at boot menu is Safe Mode- Command promot, but thats like a window running DOS..

anyone please help

you need a DOS boot disk, such as one that came w/ win98, or you could use the win98 CD, just go into the bios and change the boot sequence to "CDROM,C,A" and restart with the cdrom in the master drive. then pull up the B:, i know its supposed to be A: but the win98 cdrom makes a: a RAMdisk with dos utilities, so whatever you have in the floppy drive is B:, just put the bios update on a blank floppy, thats how i do it.

If u have OEM 98 cd then u can just boot straight to dos and run the flast program from ya HD. Just when u boot only select "boot to DOS prompt"

Heh.... You guys aren't helping this poor guy much :-)

I assume he doesn't have Windows 98 installed or doesn't have a disk, or he wouldn't be asking this question. The easiest way to get a boot disk is to go to someone else's DOS/Windows 3.1/Windows 95/Windows 98/Windows 98 SE/Windows ME machine (doesn't matter which) and go to a command prompt. Type (without quotes): "format a: /s" while you have a blank floppy disk in drive A. You now have a bootable floppy disk. Take the disk home, and you can now either copy the contents of the BIOS update (flash program executable and binary ROM image) to the floppy disk, or unzip them to the hard drive and then remember where you put them. Boot with the floppy disk and follow the BIOS flash instructions, and Bob's your uncle.

I'm not aware at this time of a way to create a bootable floppy from within NT or 2000 that will boot to REAL MODE, or even a way to just boot into REAL MODE from the hard drive using the various boot-time options. I had high hopes the first time I saw the "Safe Mode Command Prompt Only" option in Win2K that we now had it, but was very let down when I tried it and found that we were booting into protected mode. IF ANYONE KNOWS HOW TO DO EITHER OF THESE THINGS TO GET TO REAL MODE WITHOUT USING A BOOT DISK CREATED WITH DOS/WINDOWS 9x, *PLEASE!!!* LET ME KNOW!!!!!

I just flashed the bios on my micro-star mobo heres how, you need a win98 boot disk and unzip your bios files on to another blank floppy. Boot up with win 98 boot disk in floppy drive at menu screen push ctrl + F5 to get to a dos prompt then replace win 98 disk with bios floppy then at the prompt type in the name of your flash program eg: AWDfl741 or whatever yours is (look in readme file after you unzip your bios utility) then the flahe utility will start and ask you for the bios file name eg: w619mj27.bin or whatever (readme) then if you think your ready to take a chance flash away.

Good Luck

I know there might be easier ways but this was the easy way for me.

Thanks guys.

yeah this is a total no-brainer for most of us. I bet 75% of the people here have some stuff that would be 3 times easier to do from DOS prompt.

The fact that niether NT nor win2k allow you easy entry is stupid beyond belief. I would think that those Msoft engineers use the command prompts sometimes, and not everyone is all-GUI.

anyways got the win98 boot, and flashed. thanks again