Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Aragorn

Win2K+G400+smp=

In games such Q2,Q3 and Unreal (Direct3D), in a interval between 2 and 15 minutes, the game freeze up. The Ctrl+Alt+supp doesn't work (access to task manager), so Windows 2000 is really out. I can only reboot. I have try the same play with the same hardware configuration on Windows 98 and Windows Nt4, and it work. Many users are waiting for a smp fix.

------------------

Aragorn

What mobo of the smp are u running on, I think "good" old BX is out of luck in this situation, have you hear the sane problem with those 810 and 820 mobos ? I bet not. smile

Aragorn,

AFAIK, Matrox since the Millemium II is using Scatter-Shatter PCI bus mastering which makes it distinctguish from many other display card in PCI bus access and controll, the adoption of AGP make thing more stringent as frequency and timing issues are more strict that woould make the G200/400 a lot more involvement in PCI bus control(AGP is an extension of PCI), with tight coupling of the north bridge of the BX chipset with the AGP, it is more error prone than a hub base architecture such as the I810 or I820 chipset. smile

Thanks for the link, I didnt know matrox has got such good forum now. smile

i had this problem and found a simple solution.

Game: system shock 2

video: tnt2

solution:

I set processor affinity in taskman for the process to processor 0.

if you don't know what this means, take your dual processor computer back, and buy an imac

I remember I read from somewhere that G400 drivers is not multithreaded. Hence there is no improvement in speed in the game. The only VGA driver that fully support SMP is Nvidia (Although I think it is still not matured enough)

The most muiltthreaded driver with SSE is the ERASOR cards, they are good for w/s cad, although I dont do mechanical drawing any more.

I have a feeling that I will be doing much of these in near future. wink