Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Windows 2000 FIX, IS THIS TRUE

Nice try, but wrong again. I freshed installed Windows 2000 on his machine, without putting DOS on and the games didn't work. Doing the same again with the DOS first, then windows 2000. It worked. We tried fresh installing windows 2000 about 5 times and nothing helped. We then did the DOS and then Windows 2000 install and it worked. Still, it looks like i'm winning the battle here. It all points to the proof

Geesh...I'm going to put up with this discussion even if it pains me. smile

1st list what software did not work and did work with JUST the 2000 installation.

2nd list what software NOW works with Dos installed first and then 2000.

Also tell us EXACTLY how you installed the OS'S on your computer.

Ok, i had no operating system on the computer. I installed Windows 2000 pro on the computer. GTA 2, ZSNES and RPGMaker 95 didn't work. We then deleted Windows 2000, put DOS on and then Windows 2000 again. Those above games now worked.

Can you be more specific on how they didn't work? did you get any errors?

I don't know about the other games, but i know that zsnes requires the dos4gw.exe loader to run. maybe the version of dos you installed had that included?

Anyway, if that is the case, then it is not necessary to install dos, but just get the dos4gw.exe file and put it in the directory with the game.

jdulmage,

First of all i am pretty sure I know a little more about this operating system then you considering I work for MS on the Win2k Professional Setup team. MS Dos cannot even exist on a NTFS5 partition (fat32 yes). So this is not an option for most ppl since we run on NTFS. Every game I have ever tried to run on my box runs, I even got Space Quest (old ass DOS game) to run on my box.

MSGuy - hold on bucko - jdulmage has been working with computers since 1992. He is currently one of the best computer students in his whole student. He has made thousands of dollars doing computer stuff. He has experienced so many problems and solutions far more then anyone of you will see in your whole life. So I think he knows what he's talking about.

ROTFLMAO!!!!!!

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

I wonder if he can give advice regarding the deployment of my Win2K Advanced Server cluster???

What is the minimum number of nodes I should have for SQL-7 failover and still maintain 99.99% uptime, including allowed outages for maintenence, etc?

What should I do about upstream planning, so that I have at least 20Mbps avaiable at any given time?

What about Active Directory deployment? Any insights?

Thousands of dollars since 1992. I am in awe. Ooooohhh. wink

Sorry, couldn't resist. I know I am an evil, evil person.

ROTFLMAO

You are evil!

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Thanks for the laughs. This stuff is too funny.

I may be way off here... but at the MS roadshow, I remember the tech stateing that win2000 is dummy proof. You are not allowed to delete system files and the like off your drive.

Anyone ever see that movie with Tom Arnold called "The Stupids"? Remember the part where they produced a fatal error by crashing a computer by sticking a photo in the B floppy drive. Then they phoned their dad and told him to look out for the drive bee. Sure enough, one bee flies into his car while he is driving and he crashes his car thinking that the bee would be fatal.

This has nothing really to do with this thread. I just wanted to add it.

I dunno understand what this is all about.

All my antique DOS games run perfectly under W2K, without any exotic tweak or install!

Just for fun I just played Corridor 7 (a doomlike fps crap for grannies). It launches its dos extender and runs like a charm, without sound of course.

Next I try Flight Unlimited 1 for dos and come back to this thread to report. I can swear if this one works, anything will work under W2K. Those who know know what I mean smile

I'm almost tempted to try this magical DOS remedy just for kicks smile

I should actually try some of your suggestions and stuff before deleting all of my windows files and stuff. I don't even know if it works, but some how it did. How hard is that to understand?? NO DOS, no games. With DOS, games. Very simple, i could tell a 5 year old that and he would understand that, may not have a solution, but he would get it. Dispite the fact that all of you that are bad mouthing me obviously have no lives, cause you spend your team *****ing on one message post, you could have helped 10 others within this time. I'm only replying, cause your talking to me badly. So, i'll try your suggestion, if it doesn't work, i'll try mine, if that still doesn't work, then i'm stuck with Windows 2000 and i'll dual boot the system. Thanks though

I heard someone mention that DOS can not exist on an NTFS partition. Untrue DOS can exist on a NTFS partition. Install 2000, make an NTFS partition, copy DOS disks or a dos directory to your NTFS partition. There ya go! Duh...commonsense.

Man you guys got to cut it out. I laughed so hard I fell out of my chair, people are looking at me now.

Yes you can technically have DOS files on an NTFS partition but try to access them. DOS will not recognize an NTFS partition.

Wasn't me man, he said it. People should stop posting crap like yours MSGuy, if people are going to answer questons, answer them right. Also, for that one idiot that said "thousand of dollars since 1992. I'm in awe."

That's crap. I'm only 16, and have made thousands of dollars in the last 9 months, not the last 8 years. I don't even have a job for crying out loud. I'm getting $600 this month for doing Qbasic stuff for an Elections Office

Congrats being 16, it is the best time of your life! Enjoy it while it lasts! (seriously, not trying to be an arse)

Just a note, it isn't polite to brag about how much money you make. The average salary in the Bay Area for an entry to mid-level programmer is $7000/mo. I am also positive there are people on this board making $600/day. I understand you are young, but you aren't about to woo people throwing dollar signs around.

I would guess two thirds of this board is probably college age and younger, and the last third are working folk in the IT business (ie. making good money).

jdulmage:

Have you or have you not tried it. In one sentence you say you did it and it works and then you turn around and say you might try some of the suggestions before you delete windows.

You say delete the windows dir and msdos.sys but they don't exist on a W2k setup.

And yes you can put dos files on a NTFS partition but you can't run dos from a NTFS partition. I can put UNIX fils on a HPFS but you can't run UNIX from it.

However, this thread has been one of the most entertaining reads I've done in a long time. I laughed, I cried, well mostly laughed.

jdulmage,

Hey pinhead - all I did was cut and paste your original bombastic reply and put it in the third person. YOU are the one who wrote that.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Ge0ph,

MSDOS.sys is on Windows2000 and the Windows dir may or maynot be there depending on whether or not it was an upgrade from 9x. If it was the system root will be windows. Holy **** i just defended J something or other. Although I still think that he is fulla **** about putting DOS on there and games working.

P.S. This is MSGuy at home =)

AND YOU'RE WRONG!

lol

Seriously though, I have a clean install of Win2k pro and have msdos.sys in my root directory.

<shudder>

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

[This message has been edited by Shrink (edited 25 March 2000).]

i wasn't talking about deleting windows dir and msdos.sys while you have Windows 2000. If you would listen, i said delete your windows dir and msdos.sys and THEN put DOS and THEN put Windows 2000 on. Sorry for those who got things messed up. Here is the scoop. I tried it on my friends computer, not mine. It worked on his, I was you guys would stop saying i'm full of it and stuff, the proof was right there on his computer. This post is getting out of hand, look at it....4 pages long of posts, half of them have crap in them that is useless, the other half is useful and makes sense. All I was asking when i posted that message was this:

1) Has someone tried it?

2) If yes, was it successful?

1. For some strange reason 2000 does put io.sys,msdos.sys,and autoexec.bat in the root directory of your C: drive even if you have a NTFS partition. These are zero byte files and of course do not do anything. I just wish they would stop coming back! On every single computer I have ever installed NT4work/Serv and NT5pro/Serv these stupid files keep on reappearing.

2. My Quote "I heard someone mention that DOS can not exist on an NTFS partition. Untrue DOS can exist on a NTFS partition. Install 2000, make an NTFS partition, copy DOS disks or a dos directory to your NTFS partition. There ya go! Duh...commonsense."

As you can see I did not say that you booted with Dos or that NT used the Dos files in any way, I just said that you can put Dos on your drive contradicting what you said. That's where the "Duh...commonsense." comes from.

Man this is one messed up thread. smile

JDULMAGE, how did you manage to become the top computer guy in your school? Do you attend school in an Amish community?

I concur with the general consensus here. The other guys have explained this rather well, over and over again, so I'm not going to repeat again why this nonsense of installing DOS first had absolutely no effect at all on the subsequent Windows 2000 installation.

Your cause and effect analysis leaves a lot to be desired, and ignores the scientific method. You haven't done nearly enough systematic experimentation to draw the conclusion that you drew.

I'll offer my theory. I gather from the messages you've posted that you can't get games to work on your own machine for whatever reason, but have gotten them to work on other machines, where you *COINCIDENTALLY* applied this silly DOS-then-Win2K procedure.

Here are reasons the games might not be working on your machine but does on the others:

1) The others are clean installations. Yours might have become "tainted" with different layers of old drivers, a cluttered up registry, conflicting DLLs, etc.

2) You might have some oddball piece of hardware that the games didn't like too well, such as a poorly supported video card

3) Your hardware might have a defect that is not easily detectable

4) You might not have followed precisely the same procedure installing the games on your own machine as those followed on the others

Reformatting and reinstalling Windows 2000 on your machine may or may not fix the problems, depending on which cause is responsible for the nonfunctioning games. I'll assure you, however, that the result will be identical whether or not you install DOS first. Good luck getting all of your games working. I've had 100% success with my handful of games, and I know what a pain in the ass it can be when one doesn't work right away.

[This message has been edited by Reidyn (edited 25 March 2000).]