Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jdulmage

Windows 2000 FIX, IS THIS TRUE

I was told by someone that they fixed the game problems with Windows 2000, by deleting the windows directory, deleteing msdos.sys and all of those that are in C:\

then install DOS, then immediately install Windows 2000 after that. Now, i wanted to proof that, and yes, no games have errors now, but i don't know if it's because of the dos/windows installs

Who told you that and what were they smoking? How could installing dos help NT? NT is a 32 bit OS dos is not. They would not have anything to do with each other. I run Windows 2000 Pro as my main gaming rig and I have NO problems.

What are you smoking? I just tried it on my friends computer and it fixed his gaming problems as well. So it must work, don't ask me how, but it does. BTW, Windows 2000 Pro, it's impossible for you to be running games fine, cause nearly no games work with Windows 2000. You get RPG Maker 95 and try running it and you tell me if it works or not. Cause if it does, i'll be happy

I love computer illiterates...

Reminds me of "that's not a cupholder sir, it's your CDROM".

Sorry, no offence intended.

HAHAHA, you have got to be kidding me, computer illiterate, i have been working with computers since 1992. I am currently one of the best computer students in my whole student. I have made thousands of dollars doing computer stuff. I have experienced so many problems and solutions far more then anyone of you will see in your whole life. So i know what i'm talking about. OR can you prove this one, here it goes. Install Windows 2000 fresh, RPG Maker and other programs never worked. Install DOS and then Windows 2000, all of those programs work now, how can you prove that it wasn't DOS that fixed it. I believe that the programs were looking for files that only DOS offers, so they wouldn't work until after DOS was put on.

err....i mean, currently one of the best computer students in my whole school. I'm too tired

Your school must be a scary place <g>. Your logic is completely erroneous and misinformed. DOS is not even LOADED IN ANY FORM, even if you delete the WINNT directory and install DOS and then reinstall Win2k. Furthermore, except for DOS games, no other games REQUIRE any DOS files and the majority of current Windows games work in Windows 2000.

------------------

Shrink

92% of the things we worry about don't happen - but the other 8% DO!

PIII 450@504

Soltek SL67B Mobo with 128 mb pc100

20 gig Quantum KX 8 gig Quantum CR

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

... and a bunch of USB Stuff

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

Dos would have nothing to do with nt running on that system at all whatsoever. Its the same as if you did a clean install. Maybe a few lingering files that win2k will shake a stick at but thats it.

JduImage:

That's the most incomprehensible pile of meaningless rubbish i've ever heard.

For starters, there's no easy fix for gaming problems under win2k. 2nd of all, DOS and Win2k are so unrelated that any *MAGICAL* interaction between them such as the one you talked about is so incredibly impossible.

Hey guys, take it easy on him, he's just a kid. Working with computers since 92, still in highschool... something like that.

[This message has been edited by Jabba (edited 24 March 2000).]

Lol. I couldnt resist. What the hell did you mean by computer "stuff" and computer "solutions". It sounded like you were just rumbling because you couldnt figure out "stuff" is lol.

It appears that young Bill Gates has retired to bed <g>.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

HA! This was a good read before bed wink

Reminds me of that old tech support tale about NOSMOKE.EXE.

Oh you mean this one hehe.

--------------------------

I used to work in a computer store and one day we had a gentleman call in

with a smoking power supply. The service representative was having a bit

of trouble convincing this guy that he had a hardware problem.

Service Rep: Sir, something has burned within your power supply.

Customer: I bet that there is some command that I can put into the

AUTOEXEC.BAT file that will take care of this.

Service Rep: There is nothing that software can do to help you with this

problem.

Customer: I know that there is something I can put in... some command...

maybe it should go into the CONFIG.SYS or the WIN.INI

[After a few minutes of going round and round]

Service Rep: Okay, I am not supposed to tell anyone this but there is a

hidden command in some versions of DOS that you can use. I want you to

edit your AUTOEXEC.BAT and add the last line as C:\DOS\NOSMOKE and reboot your

computer.

[Customer does this]

Customer: It is still smoking.

Service Rep: I guess you'll need to call Microsoft and ask them for a

patch for the NOSMOKE.EXE.

[The customer then hung up. We thought that we had heard the last of this

guy. But NO; he calls back four hours later!]

Service Rep: Hello, Sir, how is your computer?

Customer: I called Microsoft and they said that my power supply is

incompatible with their NOSMOKE.EXE and that I need to get a new one. I

was wondering when I can have that done and how much it will cost....

I did not know this one!

Have you noticed guys that a clean install of W2K screws the "Any" key?

To get it back just reinstall Dos 2.2 over Windows for Workgroups, then reformat your drive with CPM 3. After a dirty install of Linux, just run W2K from within a hacked GEM graphic interface (Amstrad 1985 version) you can download from Digital Research's BBS...

There you get a full functionnal Apple 1 keyboard layout. That's it.

Jdulmage,

You should try this one to have Dos game work on W2K, it did work for me :

After a Fresh install of W2K open up your computer, Find the Hard Drive (well, if you know what it is!!) and Write on it "DOS" with a stamper, then on the IDE or SCSI connector betwn your drive and motherboard/card write "this way --> for DOS" with a red stamper.

Now reboot and all your Dos game will now where to go and therefore work !! smile

------------------

Config:

Dual celeron 400 on BP6

128 Mo SDRAM PC 100

Rage fury 32Mo, SB Live Player

IBM 20Go U66,DVD A103S,Yamaha 4*4*16*: IDE

Win2000 Final

Just an idea of making a combination of all of those guys who were so firendly to explain the starter of this subject why DOS is not related in any way with Win2k or why Win2k/NT doesnt use DOS in any way.

Why cant it be that the gaming probs we all experience under Win2k are solved this way:

Those games require some specific DOS-files to run. They try to search them in RAM or on the HD (cause under Win2k they cant be somewhere in memory) and couldn't find them anywhere. Assumption: this causes the errors. If so, then maybe it could help to copy old DOS-files on the HD or maybe install DOS somewhere on it that those games are able to find their required files.

Again: not Win2k makes the fault, the game still requires DOS in any way, thats the prob in my eys.

Ah yes, to all so called 'helpers' in that forum or any forum. Try to solve the probs or try to search your brain for real good content and something the guy needs really. It doesnt help if someone calls the other one stupid instead of posting a good reply. And at least one thing. He is right that it has to be prooved that his way is not correct, so better go and install it on your computer. Maybe it helps .... hmmm?

well i for one am interested, in any way to make my games run, even if it's something as off the wall as this. now i dual boot with win98 so the dos files are on my hdd, but a some of my still games won't install or run right. what you're saying to do is clean the hdd, install dos then win2k after right? and what games are you talking about?

larry

I understand all of you completely. I'm just saying, why did putting DOS on, then Windows 2000 fix my DOS and some Windows problems?? Why, it's a mysterious to me. All I wanted was an answer to that.....and a flaming folder on the message board,lol

yeah, clean install DOS and then Windows 2000. GTA 2 didn't work, ZSNES didn't work, RPGMaker 95 didn't work. That's about it, i only really want ZSNES and RPGMaker 95 to work

i don't know, i have yet to try it, but it has worked for 3 of my friends so far. Another unsolved mystery i guess

The most likely reason is because they did a clean install of Windows 2000, cleaning out all the remnants of hacked video card and sound card drivers, and having Win2k in a pristine state allowed the games to run the way they should. There was absolutely NO magic associated with the DOS install. It was a matter of cleaning up the Windows 2000 install.

------------------

Shrink

PIII 450@504

SBlive Value

Voodooo3 3000 AGP

Windows 2000 Pro Retail

First, on my W2k machines there are no Windows dir's or msdos.sys to delete, BECAUSE IT'S NT, not windows 9x.

Second, probably what made it work is the reinstall of W2k. A reinstall can do wonders to a messed up machine.

Third, and this ones a guess, any DOS files that try to run under any other OS should give an "incorrect version" error.