Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Fusion

Just to let you guys know

Just a little warning

I went out and bought a Diamond MX400

What a joke! The card only has the option to either run speakers, or run headphones....you can't have both plugged in at the same time! I honestly laughed my head off when I read that in the installation book. Does Diamond think that we want to actually unplug our speakers and plug our headphones in everytime we want to use headphones? Gimme a break.

What it means is the line out and Headphones are one and the same. If you have the sound card plugged into an HIFI or decent speakers with an built-in AMP then they will have a HP socket and then (using there great skill and Intelligence) they will save you having to figet round the back of PC when you want to plug in headphones.

The last thing a quality Sound card needs is an amp for headphones. There just sources of partition, shot and thermal noise that degrade the overall sound quality and signal to noise ratio. Inaddition to increasing to complexity and MTTF (Mean time to failure) and power consumption of the actual device .

Don't you think these people with degrees actually know what there doing?

Well euankirkhope, the Sound Blaster X-gamer Live! card happens to have headphone out on the back of the card, so either you are saying that Creative doesn't know what they are doing, or you would probably admit that not having a headphone jack on the back of a sound card is pretty rediculous

By the way, Creative happens to be a world leader in sound cards, so I think you should just admit the latter

Well, Fusion, you must have seen a different SB Live X-gammer then the one I have. On mine the headphone jack and the speaker jack are the same. You have to unplug the speakers to plug in the headphones. I can't think of any sound cards that I have ever owned that were any different, and I have at least seven in the room where I am at right now. I sounds like what you want is something like the "Live Drive", that puts a headphone jack on the frount of your computer.

You really must sit down; relax; and not think about the reckless irresponsibility of those engineers for misplacing that socket.

Don't those people at creative recommend that you use the other line out for rear speakers, that sounds much better that having speakers and headphones plugged in at the same time smile

Extra...

There are 3 types of output (in order of badness);

low Z high power, this is for headphones, unpowered tinny speakers. Which is a waste of power, 741 op-amps, etc reserved for the dark ages.

Line out High Z, low power (small signal) used for a nice clean signal to a hifi amp etc. Needs a good SNR which the above messes up, also doesn't need much amplification.

SPDIF / Optical, reserved for quality noise free signal transportation, and not good for plugging in either speakers of headphones, which is a growing (home) standard, (unless microsoft as anything to do with it).

[This message has been edited by euankirkhope (edited 13 March 2000).]

Couldn't help but to notice that you guys were comparing what cards had what as far as headphone jacks and where they are located on the card. Well i'm not one to argue, so I won't. Just thought all of you would like to know that CL didn't make the MX400 sound card as stated by Fusion himself.

------------------

DarkWolf

As I walk through the Darkness and the Shadows of the Night, you should be wary as you are never out of my sight.

no Fusion didn't

Quote:
I went out and bought a Diamond MX400

Quote:
...the Sound Blaster X-gamer Live! card happens to have headphone out on the back of the card, so either you are saying that Creative...

[This message has been edited by Goa (edited 18 March 2000).]

Don't worry about when these trivial arguments get complicated bit get missed, what he ment was that creative had included a headphone socket, so did they not know what there doing? (for some reason, this is important in comparison the the card in question. I myself own a creative card and it doesn't have a headphone socket, so does this mean they were asleep or forgot about it? smile Yet I usually always use headphones on my computer, yet have never needed to reach behind the PC to plug them in, which is why its not there in the first place.

In all fairness if the headphone socket was a necessity then he should consider getting one of those nasty graphic equaliser/amp things that sit in a 5 1/4" bay, and this would say him messing about at the back. As well as entertaining friends and relatives with some fairy lights.

Enjoy life all.

Oops my bad on that one, was half asleep when I read his post. So sorry to all who got upset at me if anyone did. Anyway I would like to say that every sound card that I have ever had that was made by CL has never put a headphone jack on the back of their cards, and I have owned the SB16, AWE64 Value, and SBLive Value. On another note, a couple of my friends have owened the AWE32 Both Non-PNP and the PNP models and they didn't even have a headphone jack.

------------------

DarkWolf

As I walk through the Darkness and the Shadows of the Night, you should be wary as you are never out of my sight.

[This message has been edited by DarkWolf (edited 20 March 2000).]

I beg to differ dark wolf

the live doesn't have a headphone socket because it probably coulnd't fit one on, its already got 4 sockets line in, mic ,rear and front

were as the sb16 did have a head phone socket that was amplified, trust me i have both

What the hell are headphones? Sounds to me like a piece of crap to make your sound less immersive. Only a Dolby Digital receiver for me girls, on a RCA digital out.

What the hell are you talking about? The best sound you get is through headphones! Some super duper 3-d $700 sound system might be better than $100 headphones, but since the first doesnt work due to lack of drivers, I'll stick the the latter.

OT but all the reviews said that the mx400 based on th ecanyon chip sucks, really bad. I would return it if I was you. They said it should be renamed the "mx 150".