Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
packman

security certification problem in WinXP

Would appreciate if someone could point me to fixing a recurring site certification problem I've encountered, under WinXP. Whenever I visit one specific webpage (of a popular ISP's website), instead of getting the webpage immediately I now get a Windows security alert caption that says:

Information you exchange with this site cannot be viewed or changed by others. However, there's a problem with the site's security certificate:

The security certificate is from a trusted certification authority.

The security certificate has expired or is not yet valid.

The certificate has a valid name matching the name of the page you're trying to view.

Do you want to proceed?

I respond 'Yes' and the page then displays, but not all of it. I then get a further Windows warning caption that says:

This page contains both secure and non-secure items. Do you want to display the non-secure items?

I respond 'Yes' and the remainder of the page then displays.

This page is one I've visited for years and, in its present guise, is probably benign. These warnings are something to do with the SSL settings, I think, but I can't find where to configure Internet Explorer so as to avoid them. I've searched in Internet Options, but can't find anything there. Anyone know how to stop these alerts?

It's www.tiscali.co.uk. However, the problem doesn't show itself on that homepage, it shows on any variant of www.tiscali.co.uk/lifestyle/newage/horoscopes/daily_<starsign>.html.

Have you tried simply clearing the cache to see if that helps?

Yup, could try that but, if I do, I'll lose all the other URLs in my dropdown menu and will have to type them all in again.

In the Content tab of Internet Options, I've just noticed the button 'Clear SSL State'. What would using that do, precisely?

If you clear the cache (temporary Internet files), it will not remove your search history; that is done through a seperate process. Sometimes you need to delete your temporary files due to a corrupt page, which happens for a number of reasons. The corrupted cache causes issues for the site it is associated with.

As for the "Clear the SSL State," I don't think that will affect your issue because you are not dealing with an https site. The SSL state stores user authentication certificates, which validate that you are who you say you are. A better explanation is available on Microsoft's web site: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290345

I cleared all my temporary Internet files. The hard drive went mad for about a minute, then settled down. It's made no difference whatever to the tiscali problem, though. I'm convinced it's something to do with personal security settings, but which one and why is a mystery.

Try adding the site to your "Trusted Sites" section in IE options under the Security tab.

Also, does this message pop up if you use a different browser, like FireFox? I've noticed that certain things will work in FireFox, but not in IE (and vice versa). The run completely seperate engines.

I tried that. Didn't make any difference. Am loath to switch to Firefox. I've Firefox before and it was nothing but trouble, and there were constant updates to do to it.

The problem doesn't occur, I've found, in Win2K, even though both WinXP and Win2K are using IE6. So, it's clearly something to do with how XP specifically treats secure/non-secure website material.

1) Make sure that your computer's date and time are correct.

2) Run Windows Update to check for updates.

3) Run the following commands from start/run:

Regsvr32 softpub.dll

Regsvr32 wintrust.dll

Regsvr32 initpki.dll

Regsvr32 dssenh.dll

Regsvr32 rsaenh.dll

Regsvr32 gpkcsp.dll

Regsvr32 sccbase.dll

Regsvr32 slbcsp.dll

Regsvr32 mssip32.dll

Regsvr32 cryptdlg.dll

Sorry, none of your suggestions were of any help. But I'm pleased to report that I've finally found the cause and it was indeed a configuration problem. It was in Internet Options/Security tab. For the Medium Internet zone setting, Display Mixed Content should have been enabled.