Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mckee

Computer starts up slow

Can someone please help me everytime I start up my computer it takes forever to start up could it be that I have too many program starting up if so can some one help me unable some of them.

Thanks cmckee

Which version of Windows? XP or Vista? I eventually went to Vista as my XP seemed to drag on forever to boot to the desktop. Could never figure out what was causing it, and Vista finally came out, so what the heck . . . . could be your anti-virus checking everything before it lets the boot complete? Only fix if you did not want to upgrade to Vista (if your problem is with XP), is a clean install and watch what you install carefully. Maybe install a little at a time until it slows down again, and thus you know what caused it. Uninstalling everything, even using registry scanners/cleaners never helped either frown

ok go to run in the start menu and type msconfig all one word then when a window pops up got to the startup tab and uncheck everthing you don't need to startup when computer dose or you can go in to start all programs startup and delet everthing also run spyware and registy cleaners and if you can compact registy also se if you can find this program it is a bunch of tools in one system mechanic 7 it will give you a free 30 day trial but you should real turn off all programs from starting when computer dose slows down start up way to much

also open windows task maneger by pushing ctrl+alt+del and see how many processes you have runing when you are not doing anything best amount to have is around 30 runing makes it so computer has a lot of free resources to perform faster you can also go in to the system controls and set everthing to performance to get a boost you can get to it by right clicking on my computer and going to properties then advanced then performance and set it to perfomance if you need any help send me a message i am all about performance and good graphics

ArchRaven threw you some good advice, but make sure you know what you are turning off when you fool with msconfig. Also, don't manually edit your registry unless you are positive that you know what you are doing; this includes using a trusted software that cleans your registry.

When you are in the task manager (hit CTRL + Shift + Esc), sort all of your processes by Mem Usage; this will tell you what is using the most system resources. You can go to sites like www.processlibrary.com to look up what each process is to determine whether or not it needs to be running.

Also, you should run a disk cleanup (you can get there from Start | All Programs | Accessories | System Tools), which will scan your PC for files that can be safely deleted. After that, you should defragment your HDD (same folder). If you want to get a really good defrag, disable your virtual memory and then run the defrag.

To turn off your VM, go to your system properties (hit the Windows key + Pause/Break key), then hit the Advanced tab, under Performance hit Settings, then click the Advanced tab, then click Change at the bottom. When the new window pops up, click the "No paging file" radio button, then click Set. Hit all the OK buttons to accept the changes.

NOTE: Make sure that your system can handle having it's VM turned off, mainly enough RAM. Also, if you VM is not managed by your OS, then write down the Initial/Max values so that you can reset your VM to the way it was after you fully defrag your system. If you are not sure if your PC can handle having its VM turned off, then don't do it.

i forgot to add something don't mess with anything other than startup in the msconfig unless you know what you are doing