Compatible Support Forums
mwalker007

Re-installing IE on Win 2000

frown

Fellows,

You may be able to help me with my problem. I am running Win 2000 Professional on a Dell Optiplex. I several years ago got disgusted with IE (I don't know which version - whatever installed with Win 2000 P I guess) and i went in and searched for all the files under the IE folder and manually deleted them because I could not find a way to remove this program. It worked and IE went away.

However, I want to continue using Win 2000 and need to re-install IE. I didn't realize it would be so difficult. Whenever I go to MS downloads none of the downloads will work and I can't download Win 2000 SP4, which I need because the new Itunes won't run without it as a minimum and they have discontinued the old Itunes and you can't download songs anymore under the old version of Itunes. They are wicked, cruel people out there!

I was able to downloade IE1.0 !!!!!! but no later versions. When I try to, they say I have a newer version of IE already detected, and the install crashes. I can actually get on the internet through IE now, but when I go to check the version of IE I have under About IE - the program crashes. That's wierd. Obviously not all the right files are there. When I go to download Win 2000 SP4 it starts but I get an error message saying the icwconn.exe is already being used, and the installation crashes.

Am I just missing the icwconn.exe file, and can I get it from somewhere on the internet? How can I re-install a new version of IE, like 6.0 from scratch, and get my Win 2000 SP4 installed.

Help! Thanks.