Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
j_a_rasheed

Connecting Pc to LAN

Hi,

I need to connect a PC to the existing LAN.

I have already install the TP/IP. I have input the IP Address and the submask according to the established rules.

Computer Name and workgroup have been entered as per the establisged rules.

The n/w card has been checked by pinging 127.0.0.1 - work fine.

The N/w icon is being shown in the notification area.

Up to here, it appears that everything has been configured as required.

But the problem is that we are unable to ping the server or any other computer on the LAN.

Pl help.

Rasheed

17/01/2007

A couple of simple checks first:

1) Check the NIC and see if the lights are flashing where the cable is plugged in. If not, check your cables. If all cables are plugged in properly, then you have a bad cable.

2) Can other machines ping the newly added one? Can your machine ping itself (not the loopback address, but the one you assigned it)? If not, then check your TCP/IP settings again. The problem with setting up static IP addresses is that you sometimes assign the same IP address to different machines. In addition, you allow for human error by accidently entering in the wrong information (e.g., subnet mask of 255.255.25.50). If you have a router, I'd suggest not entering in the IP address and instead allow the router to assign the machines values.

Hi,

what about your default gateway.check r u you able to ping to the same also check is there any software firewall is installed in this pc,you have to be look upon the Antivirus settings also

some antivirus should have a port blocking features also ,so check the same and let me know the status

Regards

Praveen SG