Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
shesha

XP FC5 Dual boot problem. Please help.

I have onnly one 60GB harddisk in my laptop. I had windows installed on c: (10GB) and had data on d: (40 GB) and unpartitioned 10GB. I installed FC5 on the unpartitioned FC5 and now I am not able to boot Windows. It displays

"Booting WinXP"

rootnoverify (hd0,4)

chainloader +1

and sits here ...

I can boot FC5 and these are the exact two lines in my /boot/grub/grub.conf.

fdisk -l shows....

Disk /dev/hda: 60.0 GB, 60011642880 bytes

16 heads, 63 sectors/track, 116280 cylinders

Units = cylinders of 1008 * 512 = 516096 bytes

Device Boot Start End Blocks Id System

/dev/hda1 16 20321 10233405 f W95 Ext'd (LBA)

Partition 1 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/hda2 20321 91434 35841015 7 HPFS/NTFS

/dev/hda3 91434 91641 104422+ 83 Linux

Partition 3 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/hda4 91641 116280 12418245 8e Linux LVM

Partition 4 does not end on cylinder boundary.

/dev/hda5 * 17 20321 10233373+ 7 HPFS/NTFS

I tried booting to recovery console on XP.

The map command in the recovery console displays c: as 40GB and d: as 10GB. When I had my XP running, c: was 10GB and d: is 40GB. Some how it drive letter changed. Any help to solve the problem will be highly regarded. Please help.

Looks to me as one of two things happened.

Where was the free space on the drive before you started the Fedora installation? If it was not at the end of the drive, then this is the issue. Free space needs to be at the end of the drive when you install Fedora.

If the logical order of the drives changed, say by installing Fedora to empty space not at the end of the drive, then this is the cause of the problem. When grub invokes the boot.ini for Windows, the boot.ini is looking for the Windows start-up files where they originally were, before the partition logical order changed.

1. What make and model laptop is this?

2. Did you use any partitoning software to set up the drive beforehand, say to set the data partition? Note how you set-up the drive partitions, with primary vs. extended partitions and logical volumes. This would be before you installed Fedora.

3. When you installed Fedora, what partitioning schema did you use to install Fedora within the installation partitioning section? The default method, or custom partitioning?

4. Do you know how to edit the Grub file, either from the Grub boot menu, or from within Fedora?

Hopefully this will cover the possible issues that could have occured and how to proceed.

there is an repair which give u with command line in windows , there is a command name it bootcfg , and will find your windows , after that go to manage by click left Button mouse and manage your hard disk delete your linux partitions and after that , make anew installation for your linux .

I would not do this, at least not just yet.

What seems to have happened, is that Shesha somehow changed the partition table in an unusual fashion.

Using bootcfg may find and append the correct location of the Windows installation. Then he should try to boot with Grub and see if Windows boots properly.

Look at his partition table. His Windows installation, from his description, is now on hda5, rather than hda1. It was on hda1. He appears to have an extended partition before the Windows partition. If he deletes the linux partitions, which are in the middle of the partition table (rather than the end), his logical order of partitions will change. This means that the boot ini file will point to the incorrect partition again.

Depending on how he reinstalls Fedora, he will likely run into the same problem, because Fedora will install on the empty space, which is not at the end of the drive's partiton table.

This is what got him into the problem to start. I would like to see his response first, before he moves on to once again alter his partiton table.