Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Mangusti

Chaos Overlords - Can't find CD

I recently acquired this old Win95-game. Installation went fine with the compability mode, but whenever I try to run the game it complains that it can't find the CD, compability mode or no. I'm running a Win XP Pro (SP2).

Try another CD-drive. Many of old games understand only first logical CD-ROM, so any other not suite. Some other games don't tolerate many drives (Space Empires: Starfury, for example, assumes, that CD-rom letter cannot be more than H). Try to experiment with this. smile

For those trying to run the full game off of the cd under XP. After installing the game and trying to run it, you will have the

following error "Please Insert The Chaos Overlords cd" and you won't be able to continue. This happens because in the CO

exe the name points to CHAOS_OVERL, instead of the full name of the cd. So backup your Chaos Overlords.exe and then

open it in your hex editor of choice. Go to decimal offset 531736 and you should see the CHAOS_OVERL name begin there.

Now complete the name by adding 4F 52 44 53 so that it now spells CHAOS_OVERLORDS to match the cd. Save it and exit.

And the game will now reconize the game cd or image and will work. If you've already patched to 1.1 the address might have

changed a bit, so find the new location and change it there.