Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
royg

This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM

Powered up my PC today and got the following dialog box as ther PC was going hrough the boot up process.

"The system is shutting down. Please save all work in progress and log off. Any unsaved changes will be lost. This shutdown was initiated by NT AUTHORITY\SYSTEM. The system process C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\SERVICES.EXE terminated unexpectedly with status code 128. The system will shut down and restart."

At that point the system does not get to the login screen and shuts down then restarts.

I used another PC and found information on Microsoft's web site. However I can't get started in safe mode as the Microsoft article indicates because I get the same NT Authority message, but this time after several seconds login screen appears. Tried loggin in but shortly after the system shutdown and restarted.

Came across another posting that suggested to bring up task manager as soon as you login, in Safe mode. However, before Safe Mode is fully loaded the system times out and reboots so I never get task manger up.

Any ideas?

According to several Google queries this problem occurs if a value in the registry concerning shared objects don't exist. You can't use regedit until you get into safe mode. You may have to boot from your CD to get into console mode, then reboot to see if you can get into Safe Mode.

Hey i have suffered the same problem with you before in the past, and I found out that it was actually a virus infection. You have to do download the Trojan Horse Windows Patch from Microsoft. Hope it will help.

FYI, some people only have one computer, which means they need to download the patch, and or solution, in the amount of time it takes to "shut down the computer".

using the "shutdown -a" command once you have gone to the RUN prompt should give you the time you need.

Then again, If you cant keep your computer on, you probably aren't reading this...

Straylight

Originally Posted By: tengkufairuzalif
Hey i have suffered the same problem with you before in the past, and I found out that it was actually a virus infection. You have to do download the Trojan Horse Windows Patch from Microsoft. Hope it will help.

I have had this problem too except it only occured when the PC had been on an hour or 2. It was a "WinLogon Trojan Virus" according to the Microsoft online crash assistant or whatever its called. Not sure how your going to fix it though if it shuts down before logon even.