Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
mariner

Confusing hard disk-NT installation problem

Posted this at anandtech but haven't found the solution yet.

Gotta IBM Deskstar ata66 7200 rpm 13.5GB hard disk. Installed it on Abit BP6 in the ata66 socket. Installed 95b. Worked fine. Then I installed the ata66 drivers and it still worked fine. However, couldn’t install BeOS ‘cause Be is incompatible with the HPT366 ata66 controller frown Later, I wanted to setup the disk for NT and Be. But NT wouldn’t install. So, FDISK and repartition and disabled the ata66 with the IBM utility. Then…..

Now, the juicy stuff. I tried to install NT while the disk was on the ata66 socket and setup didn’t see it confused I plugged the disk into the ata33 socket and setup lets me go thru to the take all floppys and CD’s out and restart your computer and setup will continue step. On restart I get the No operating system detected error confused

In BIOS I have all disk detection settings on AUTO. BIOS and DOS recognize the drive smile I hooked up the drive as slave to my Maxtor running NT/Be. That installation of NT sees the drive and the WINNT directory setup just created and all it’s files.

Why doesn’t setup continue?? Never had this problem before in about 5 or 6 installations of NT.

Sorry about being so wordy but I wanted to get all the goodies in.

------------------

Onward, Through The Fog!

Your were close. I had to zero fill with dft. Then everything worked fine. Thanks for the post.

[This message has been edited by mariner (edited 09 March 2000).]