Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Myke

Backup Exec 10 & Open File Option (OFO)

I have a question regarding the Open File Option (OFO) on Backup Exec 10 for Windows Servers.

BE 10 is running on a Windows 2000 SP4 server and backs up about 9 Windows servers and 1 Novell server (all of them have the appropriate Remote Agents installed). Through trial and error, I have had to tweak some of the settings to work around numerous errors that cause the backup jobs to fail or freeze. Here is the newest of them:

"0xe00feba = An unknown error occurred within the NDMP subsystem"

The doumentation that I was directed to and have read states that this error is usually due to an attempt to backup a file that is open and in use, which makes the file corrupt. It also states that the most common files that generate this sort of error are PST files. Users' Outlook Archive files are stored on the Novell server to save space on our Exchange server and are in constant use, so I'm 99% sure that this is what caused the error.

The documentation also states that by turning on the OFO, the backup job will properly backup the file and keep the job from ending in a failed state (consiquently, it also backs up the file in use).

So here is my question: I have read in additional documentation that there might be a compatability issue with OFO and the use of NAS emulation. Does anyone happen to know if this is the case with what I have described?

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.