Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
loserboy02

question about linux

Hey everyone,

I'm going to be switching to linux here soon and i'm just trying to figure out which one would be best for me.

the reason i'm doing this is because ms has mad me angry for the last time with their wga crap.

it's going to be on my home pc and i'd like one that has the most compatibility to programs or hardware designed for ms (or progs that work just as well)

I play alot of games on it also, but at 1st im just gonna partition some extra space for linux so i'll still have win if i need.

I had a little experience playing with red hat some years back but hopefully its a little more user friendly than that now.

wondering if you guys had any suggestions thanks.

oh also if theres a good one that will do the bootable live cd or whatever that would be nice to try too.

I'll give you my take on the subject and probably take some heat for it.

When using Linux, you have to stop thinkling about Microsoft compatibility and think Linux compatibility. This will save you a lot of headaches.

Don't think about Microsoft compatibility when it comes to software either. While folks have been able to get some Microsoft applications to run in Linux, this is not ideal. Think in terms of Linux alternatives. There are a bunch of packages (applications) out there for Linux that do the same tasks as Microsoft software. OpenOffice is a good axample of such an alternative to MS Office. You can still use OpenOffice to view and manipulate your Word and Excel files, while still keeping them instact to open and modify on MS Office.

In terms of hardware, if your system was made to run with Windows, then you can expect some snags. To give an example, Dell and Gateway systems have a lot of legacy hardware on their Microsoft designed systems. So hardware like "winmodems" which are specifically designed for Microsoft compatibility, may give you fits.

It's best to tell us exactly what system you have right now, so we can tell you what problems you may run into, if any.

I believe Fedora Core 5 has come a long way to be more user friendly. However, there are many more distros (Linux flavors) out there that have also come a long way in this regard. The best suggestion, is to post what you intend to do with your system exactly, so folks can give their personal experiences.

I recently installed Ubuntu and was also quite impressed with it.

SuSE also seems to be a great choice.

But, it depends on what exactly you want to do with the system.

Live CD versions of Linux can also be a good starting point. This way you can try the distro and see if you like it, get comfotable with Linux in general, then decide to install it later on. Mepis and Knoppix are good examples.

So, what hardware do you currently have?

everything you said about the programs is perfect, in fact i use openoffice on my pc now smile

what i really meant about compatability was like my dv camera, and usb storage and such

now on the hardware part.... i know someone is gonna make fun of me for this but i dont know exactly everything i have even though i built the comp myself, i guess ill just go through everything i know and then you can ignore what doesnt matter and tell me if i missed anything.

AMD athlon 64 3700

1 gig corsair ram

geforce 7800 pci-xpress

built in sound and lan

asus motherboard, i forget which one

running xp pro (counterfeit says ms all of a sudden)

80 gig sata drive - not in raid, western digital i think

generic dvd burner

uh i think thats about it

oh and a big fat pretty antec case with a freaky air ducting system

My needs for it arent really important right now, i just want to learn to use proficiently, but i will be doing basic home office stuff with it, nothing that openoffice can't do.

I would like to get back into to some graphical design.

I like games, if i could play graphically intense games on it that would be nice.

Honestly I just wanna do my part to increase linux's part in the home pc market, and since i cant program the least i could do is throw a few dollars at someone who can.

Also thanks very much for the helpful reply, i was looking into Suse and Ubuntu, but thought i would talk to somone 1st to narrow it down, like you said there are so many.

Danleff,

I am inpreseed by your approach. before i read this, i wondered if some one has the same feelings as i do. I too have never felt need of using any MS compatible software for doing a task. I always get an open source s/w. Leav alone my all in one printer scanner, which i purchased in hurry!

Looserboy02

your system is a very good one. There shouldnt be any major problem about compatibility. generally speaking ASUS and NVIDIA have Linux drivers available, that means hardly any problem. About selecting distros, here is my take

1) fedora

I use FC5 X86_64. Not any major issues with it. I have been using Linux from red hat 6. So i like red hat and derivatives. Basically Fedora will install most of the packages u need. That means you will have to install lesser packages if atall in future.

Any Third party s/w if is awailable for Linux, you will get its precompiled installer (rpm) configured for Fedora.

For technical use, best!

MANDRIVA

I have used Mandriva Limited edition 2006, Wonderful userfriendliness. I liked the Graphics. It has support for Playing Videos and Playing Mp3 out of box. (you will need to do that manually on other Linux disributions. Reason is Out of scope at this moment

UBUNTU

It is a Single cd install. What all you need you can install from internet using the syneptic/ apt get (it is easy, dont worry)

Lesser packages mean more speed. + they promise updates for atleast 18 months. Also you can obtain free cds. you dont also need to pay any postage. Check their website.

SUSE

i have very less experience with it. I liked it but I prefer Fedora and Mandriva more. Just personal preference.

All are RPM based Distributions But UBUNTU which is debian based.

I Like Fedora the most, but if u need SPEED go for Ubuntu

Awesome, I think you've answered all my questions... until i choose one then ill have plenty more for you smile

anyway now im gonna go make my decision based on what youve told me

thanks alot for your help

Well I did Ubuntu....and its sweet, thanks for the advice... ill post the rest of my questions and what not somewhere else.