Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
zenarcher

Unable To Scan With HP Officejet 6200 And SUSE 10.0

I just purchased an HP Officejet 6210 multi-function printer. The unit will print, scan, copy and fax. It is a USB connected device and I'm using SUSE 10.0.

I connected the new printer and installed it through YAST. Quite simple, since SUSE 10 recognizes and has the driver for the Officejet 6200 series. Likewise, I made sure the packages, hplip and hplip-hpijs were installed. I also went into /etc/sane/dll.conf and removed the comment in front of hpaio, as I read about doing. The printer is recognized just fine in YAST Hardware and the printing works great.

My problem is with scanning. When I try to "Acquire" with SANE, I get a message that no scanner was found. KOOKA does not show a scanner, either. (I'm using KDE desktop). I have SANE and XSANE installed, as well.

In YAST Hardware, I went to Scanners and can see the HP Officejet 6210 there, as well. Attempting to configure it there, I get the error: Failed to set SCSI scanner access permissions. The error message is: (nothing following Is:...it is just blank)

Could someone assist me in how I can get the scanner in my printer to scan with SANE? I've Googled several articles, but haven't managed to find anything that really worked or helped.

Thanks,

zenarcher

Interesting! I have one of these exact units and have not tried to set it up yet. I will try it with Fedora Core 5 first. Maybe we can get it working together.

What happens when you enter (if you have it) /etc/sane.d/hp.conf and uncomment;

/dev/usb/scanner0

Since this is a USB scanner, not scsi or parallel unit.

Danleff,

You make everything so simple!! smile

I uncommented /dev/usb/scanner0 and lo and behold.....the scanner works great in GIMP, just as I wanted!!

I had already gone into /etc/sane.d/dll.conf and removed the comment on hpaio, which I believe also needs to be done.

Anyway, this works like a dream! None of the problems I had with the old HP T-45...everything just works with the HP6210.

I hope yours will be as easy! Now, I can wait for my new SUSE 10.1 DVD to arrive, which I have ordered from Novell...but is currently backordered....and go through the exercise again. But, I always make notes and write this stuff down.

Cheers,

zenarcher

Good deal, Danleff. I'll be waiting to see how you do with the printer and Fedora. SUSE 10.0 has the Officejet 6200 series included in the printer setup, which is one of the primary reasons I chose it. So, it was just merely a matter of adding the printer through YAST>Hardware>Printers.....but of course, not knowing to uncomment those two lines, complicated the matter. That was all I found necessary to do. The unit works wonderfully. Great print quality....same with copy and scan....and I was really amazed that the fax worked, as VoIP phone isn't exactly up to speed for faxing. My provider says it "should" work, but they do not support nor guarantee faxing. They say that if a fax fails, one should just try to resend it. I've been with the same VoIP provider for two years now and couldn't be happier with that. Inexpensive and all the features the telephone company had and more...and actually, the audio quality is superior to what we had with the local phone company. An occasional breakup of audio was resolved when I went to a 5 GHz cordless phone, so eliminated interference with my 2.4 GHz wireless router.

Regards,

zenarcher

Well, you will like this. Fedora Core 5...works right out of the box! Printing and scanning works fine! I can now shelf my HP Laserjet 5L that I've had for many years.

Fedora Core 5 continues to impress me.

Now off to Mandriva and Debian...

Well, that's great, Danleff. It sounds like this Officejet 6210 is a real Linux friendly printer. I hope people take a look at these experiences, when they think about getting a new multifunction printer. It saves a lot of hassle!

Cheers,

zenarcher