Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
jarves

modem

helow

I hav a SoftV90 Voice Speakerphone Modem wen i boot to linux. kudzu detected it. then i got on the linux environment and tried to configure the internet using kppp it had an error saying that /dev/modem was not found. i dont know f my modem is a winmodem or a linmodem and i dnt know wat tty it is. My modem is a pci type and my linux is fedora core 4.

tnx

jarves;

Please post the exact make and model of the modem. There are a few of these out there that have like names. Is this a Motorola modem, or otherwise? In the best senario, if you get the model number off of the modem itself, this helps ID the exact chipset. I'll try to look up some links to explain exactly what I mean.

The first clue here is the word "soft." this usually means that this is a winmodem. I have not used one in a while, but I bet this is a conexant or Motorola HSF modem chipset. They are a real problem with most distros, as they do not have their own onboard controller chip to handle the modems processes. These modems rely on the system's main processor to do most of the work and are suually designed for Windows speciffically. There are some folks who have gotten some to work, But many are legagcy modems made for Dell or Gateway systems, which are a bear.

tty refers to the serial ports on the computer. With external modems, linux tries to identify the correct serial port to detect the modem on. In tour case, you have a PCI modem, which is fine. If I remember kppp uses the same designations to emulate the port, say ttyS0, ttyS1 and so forth. I seem to also remember that if kppp refers to /dev/modem... with these modems, it is usually symbolically lined to the tty port. This may be missing. have you tried to change the designation to one direct tty setting?

Again, I have not done this in a while, so bear with me.

helow, you are probably right, it is a winmodem. I made a thorough research over the net and found a site called linuxant. It offered a driver for my modem the softv90. My modem is a prouct of conexant. I have not tried the modem yet but i will be glad to share whatever outcome will be. And also, i havent tried to change the direct tty designation. Wat happend was when i turned on my computer and choose linux as it prepares to load some drivers, etc...kudzu detected my modem. It clearly specified there, then when im in linux already and tried to configure the internet using my modem, it presented me with that problem i was mentioning before.

I did try the Linuzant drivers in the past, which worked very well with the supported modems that they note. Be aware, that this package is not free. You get to try it out at a limited speed output (14.4Kbps). If you pay the fee, then you get full functionality of the packaged driver, which is $19.00 USD. But, It's worth the price to avoid the headaches, in my opinion, to get the modem working.