Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
poelvord

problem at the install

Do you know if the "dvdram-gsa-4040B" from Lg is compatible for Linux (mandrake for exemple)

I see in this forum of lg are a lot of problems with linux...

It's true?

Thanks

ps: sorry for my bad english but i com from Belgium...

There were some problems with older LG drives and Mandrake 9.2, where the problem was first identified. The issue was with LG drives and their compliance with adapti standards.

If you are using a recent/newer version of Linux, you should have no problem. Mandriva 2006 should be no problem.

I have this problem with Mandrive 2006 Free DVD and the last version of Ubuntu. I thinks I go buy a new dvdrom (no writer) witch mark is the best? Sony or any other one?

I think that I may understand better. Neither Mandriva or ubuntu will install? Is this the issue?

I assumed you were speaking of the LG problems and compatibility with Linux distros.

Before you go buy a new DVD or CDROM drive, please be more detailed with the problem that you are having.

If you are having a problem with the install process, then it could be a hardware issue, or you burned the disks incorrectly.

To explain the disk burning issue, see my article on the subject here.

Again, be more specific about the problem and we can respond more appropriately.

[Edited by danleff on 2006-03-23 00:41:51]

Hello, With starting I the screen "do you want have to install Mandriva 2006? Support on enter - Want you more options (or something as that) support on F1 ". I press on "Enter". There it puts a text mode to me. It says that it scan the usb then in continuation it scan the cdrom and they is there that it stop. It puts an error message like that "Finishing anormaly installation" or something of the kind (in deutch I thinks) and after I am foreced of reboot the computer.

This problem is at the begin of the installation.

I also have this problem with dvd coming from spe[censored]t newspeppers

Failure with installations are either related to hardware issues (mostly other than the cdrom drive) or improperly burned disks.

Did you burn any of these disks yourself? If so, did you burn them at a slow speed as noted in my article?

Are you booting off of the cd disks, or trying to use the cd disks (DVD) while in Windows (yes, folks have tried to do this)?

Give some computer specifications for your system.

What is the make and model of your system, or what motherboard make and model do you have?

How much ram (memory) is in the system?

Quote:
I also have this problem with dvd coming from spe[censored]t newspeppers

What is this? Is this a publication of some sort?

I tried to install Mandriva 2006 which was provided with a book specialized on linux. I applied the usual procedure: to put Cd in first boot, demarrer the PC and to begin the procedure. My configuration is: Motherboard Asus A8ne-Fm DDRAM2 512Mo Graphic Card: Nvidia 6600 WP (128Mo) Processors: AMD64 3000+ DVD-writer Lg4040B