Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Axshun

Changed Monitors cant get GUI to load.

After Installing Fedora Core 4 and then Moving it to my KVM switch it now says "Cannot Display This Video Mode".

Ive tried ctrl+alt+backspace, the message will just return.

I am trying to boot the machine where it will only give me a command prompt and not go into the gui, but havent managed that yet.

I have read on some of the forums how to changes the resolution once at a command prompt, but I am not clear this works for Fedora Core ?

Your title says that you changed the monitor...is this the case?

If so, what old monitor did you have and what is the make and model of the new monitor?

I dont know the model of the old monitor it was a CRT from the Disposal Heap. The new Monitor is a Dell FP1702.

Is this an LCD monitor or a flat CRT?

Look at how to change the run level at the Fedora basic faq page.

Follow the directions under "While You Are Booting the Computer."

Once you are able to boot to a console, following those directions, look at Red Hat Linux Step-by-Step Installation

Run the system-config-display utility.

If it is installed, you will get a small GUI (hopefully).

If this is an LCD monitor, try setting it to "generic LCD" and the appropriate settings that are found in the monitor's users manual. For most LCD monitors, it should be 1024x768, or 800x600 to get it going.

If this works, you can tweak it later on.

P.S. I deleted your other post, as it is a duplicate. Keeping the thread on one topic will avoid any confusion and keep the discussion on one thread.

OK

thanks for getting me to the Command line... that works like a champ. When I run the system-config-display utility it goes back to the "Cannot Display This Video Mode"

So i went into the xorg.conf and changed it from Kds monitor to "generic LCD" THat didnt do anything so ill try to "tweak" some more of the settings to see if it will give me back my screen.

I was afraid of that.

If you know how to edit the xorg file, change the monitor to "vesa"

You may also need to change the horiz. and vertical refresh modes to match your monitor settings. Consult the user's manual or manufacturer's web page for your monitor. The old CRT, I am sure, had older refresh rates that will not work. If all else fails, I will try to post more from my xorg file.

SO i changed it to vesa then did the system-config-disply.. it gave me some sort of error... do i toggled over to continue reading and when i went back the display config utility was up and going and i was able to set it up through there! Awesome thank you so much for all of your help. I was not looking forward to reinstalling. smile