Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
chris_sharman

dialup icon ?

Got fedora core 4 up and going, with my winmodem, thanks to danleff here and the good people over at http://linmodems.org/

1. Is there a dialup icon, or some such ?

Suse dropped a little plug icon in the system tray (is that the right term?), and I just clicked on it to connect or disconnect.

I've found the internet config wizard, and kppp, but either I haven't configured them right, or they're more cumbersome.

2. I would go broadband, but blueyonder/cable telewest (uk) say they don't support linux, and the useless people at BT won't give me a price to go back to them.

Anyone got any advice/recommendations (UK) ?

Thanks

Chris

Got there eventually, after many hours head-scratching.

fc4 config seems to be a bit different to that article, and when I configured my connection, a named it after my isp, not ppp0, so "ifup ppp0" didn't work, and didn't give visible or helpful errors either.

Done now - next step ms vpn ...

Thanks again

Chris

G'day Chris,

You can put a modem light on your panels (top or bottom of the screen) by putting the cursor on the panel you choose and righ click it. Choose "Add to Panel" which will give you a list of icons, including the modem lights.

If you want a modem connection icon, just drag the icon from the "Internet" menu under "Application" onto your desktop and it will put it onto your desktopn (Probably your PPP).

Before I had adsl I ran a winmodem with Linux distos of various kinds. Ignore the isp people; they only know windows.

People in this forum and others can get you going with your configuration.

Best wishes

John