Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
nick.b

Need more network speed...

I'm trying to capture uncompressed .avi files (roughly 21 MB/s) of data to a network server. The program I'm using lets me select a drive in XP to write to, it is already mapped to our server, so I imagine this is using SMB for data transfer. The motherboard is a SuperMicro X5DAL-TG2 and has Dual Gigabit on the board. The computer is running XP, has two Xeons, and I think 2 gigs of RAM. This computer connects directly to a 3com Baseline switch (2816-SFP) which is also connected to the server. The server has dual gigabit on the motherboard as well and over 1.5 TB of space in a RAID 5 setup. Writing rates should be about 70 MB/s according to the manufacturer.

I setup both the client and the server to team their ports using GEC (which I think is now just static link aggregation). Set the switch to trunk their connecting ports. I'm only able to reach speeds of 21 MB/s which is right there but not good enough because after 12 minutes the hardware buffer on the capture card fills up causing the capture to drop frames and fail.

I talked to the manufacturer of the card and they just say that they don't recommend capturing to a network drive. However I can easily capture to a network drive real-time if a encode to MPEG real-time, causing the data to be transfered to be minimal.

I've been beating my head against a wall to figure this out. I've tried increasing the TCP/IP window size in the registry. I heard about a tweak to the TCP/IP buffer size that I may need to try. I've disabled all unnecessary hardware, and disabled a ton of services that are not needed.

Anybody have any ideas or maybe even what I should be able to achieve in terms of data thorughput (not wire speed)?

Thanks in advance for any help.

My guess would be that yes you will have less trouble doing a network capture with an MPEG because it is compressed. An uncompressed AVI is alot of bandwith being sucked up. I'm not sure you can get around that but if I am wrong someone will let me know soon enough! lol

S