Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
gef4000 mx

Cable to Hi-Speed not working

My problem is plain and simple I have recently switched from regular cable by mediacom to Hi-Speed cable by mediacom. The problem is my Hi-speed internet is not hi-speed its still regular cable and the download speeds are only 4.6 kp/s in which im paying $57.50. I'm running on Windows XP, Dell Dimension 2350 Intel Pentium 4. When ever I go to Control Panel - system - hardware - Device Manager, under other devices there is a yellow exclamation mark over my ethernet controller, my usb under network is working fine, I have checked and re-checked and all my cords are plugged in fine, then i attempted to re-install the ethernet cord and it would not install with any of the software i got from the company (one labled usb driver, the other fast track to hi-speed internet). Then under show all connections the only connection is labled Lan or High-Speed Internet, so if you have any ideas that would be most helpful. If you need more information just say so smile

Your explanation is a little jumbled. Most cable modems have the ability to use either a USB or ethernet connection not both at the same time. Your ethernet driver is governed by the maker of either the onboard ethernet or your ethernet card. I wouldn't use something from mediacom as your driver. Your best bet is to find out what kind of ethernet card you have and get the drivers from the maker or at worst use one from Microsoft.

As to "high speed" as compared to "regular", it is not clear what you mean. Generally, "high speed" requires you to have a completely different modem from the regular modem. You can go here: http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/ to test the relative speed of your modem both the download and upload sides. "High speed" should exceed 5000 download and exceed 475 upload,

Well my download speed is 19kb/s and my upload is 23kb/s I think your confused on how im setting up my internet it goes like this cable - router - usb - cpu

- eternet -cpu

so to run hi-speed can i do off of a usb or do i need to unitstall the usb and remove it from my router then try installing the ethernet? Or should i simply contact mediacom and get them to try something which i would hate becasue they take forever and i can't stand the way they talk

I am confused. Generally, the cable modem is connected to the router. The preferred connection is ethernet. Then, the router is connected to the computer or computers. Again, the preferred connection is ethernet. USB can be left out completely. Generally, cable modems can use both a USB connection or an ethernet connection. If your modem only has a USB connection, perhaps, you can exchange it for one that has an ethernet connection.

As to your speed, mediacom should give you the download and upload speeds that you should expect from regular cable and High-Speed. For example Road Runner says that its regular cable is from 1500 to 5000 with an average in between depending on "traffic". Regular cable's average is 3000 to 4600. At its high speed, it is 5000 to 8000. Its average is between 5200 and 7600.

well I think that might be why the ethernet cord isn't installing properly because the usb cord is still in the computer and installed my ethernet cord is plugged into the computer but under device manager it has a yellow exclamation mark which im assuming means its not installed,

to your second post what does that mean? Does it mean that i need to call mediacom to make sure that they have activated my hi-speed (when i say hi-speed i'm meaning broadband) or does it mean my test results are slow as crap

My cable hooks into my cable modem. From there. it goes to my router. From there, it goes to my NIC cards in the computers. USB hubs blow, get a router, with a hardware firewall. USB is slow, and finicky, a direct connection through a router is the only way to go. A 4 port router will cost you $100 tops, and that's for a very good quality Link-Sys router.

Seriously, lose the USB BS, it blows.

Relic, I know but im really short on cash right now for I myself have to pay it by doing chores around the house hence im not 18 I still live with my parents im just the one who likes computers, but my hub, has an ethernte slot on but, the ethernet won't install properly, my hi-speed internet is the same as normal cable. Man I really wish i knew how to explain it i guess im just going to have to call mediacom and talk to someone from their and see they have properly activated hi-speed

As you can see from Relic's colorful language the preferred connections are ethernet - bypass USB.

As to the speed. If you were using regular cable, when you switched over to high speed, you should have had to contact the cable company to make sure that that their computer's knew you were supposed to receive high speed. It is like asking for a premium television package. I don't know how many "plans" mediacom has, but I can tell you with Road Runner as an example, to receive high speed, you not only have to have them switch you over, you have to have a completely different modem to utilize it.

I have no idea what Mediacom is talking about, or how their cable works, but dude, no one can configure your modem from the office. They may cap your speeds from there, but they can't touch your modem.

I have "normal" cable, 3meg down, maybe 400K up. I can go to the Extreme cable, 5meg down, 800K up, but that requires a different modem altogether, which I can eiother buy for $100, or rent for $10 a month. 10 months it pays for itself, so go figure what I'll do when I go to the Extreme cable. laugh

Possibly two probs here, somehow your NIC got lost by windows. Simple fix, uninstall the NIC card with the exclamation mark, then reboot and let Windoze reinstall it. If needed, dwnld new drivers for that particular NIC card.

Maybe your USB hub is faulty. What, $10 maybe $20 for a new one. $10 for a NIC. Somehow I doubt it's the hub, because you have an exclamation mark beside the card in the device manager. Uninstall the card, see what happens.

Originally posted by Sampson:

Quote:
As you can see from Relic's colorful language the preferred connections are ethernet - bypass USB.

As to the speed. If you were using regular cable, when you switched over to high speed, you should have had to contact the cable company to make sure that that their computer's knew you were supposed to receive high speed. It is like asking for a premium television package. I don't know how many "plans" mediacom has, but I can tell you with Road Runner as an example, to receive high speed, you not only have to have them switch you over, you have to have a completely different modem to utilize it.

Yes, missed your post while typing out mine, exactly the same here in Ontario with Rogers cable. wink

Relic as to your earlier post saying i should unistall the ethernet and reinstall should i unistall the usb driver that my internet is currently running on then unistall the ethernet and reinstall it? If that makes since...

First I'd try it with the hub still connected, so Windoze can see both when it installs the drivers, that way, it may install the correct drivers for you.

If that doesn't work, start playing around, trial and error. If you can't get it working, you'll have to break down and call your support line, which I know is a chore in itself at times.

I've been lucky with Rogers, if I call late at night, I get the techies that know what they're doing, I don't bother calling during the day, my dog knows more, and she's Belgian. laugh

Ok im going to to some of my own tests but i've been saying i probably should just remind them to activate my hi-speed, and if they say it is i will explain to them what it is and i don't think i have thanked you and Sampson properly for helping me with that e-mail problem that fixed so many things so thank you guys for all the help

Here's what I figured out i had to do without the help of mediacom! I had to first unistall everything then reinstall it the etherenet still didnt work so i figured well thats not the problem so i put in the mediacom to hi-speed internet software and then i had to eneter my acount key and registration number, register my e-mail address through mchsi.com then, i had to reset my hub then restart wait one day and boom hi-speed.

Originally posted by gef4000 mx:

Quote:
Here's what I figured out i had to do without the help of mediacom! I had to first unistall everything then reinstall it the etherenet still didnt work so i figured well thats not the problem so i put in the mediacom to hi-speed internet software and then i had to eneter my acount key and registration number, register my e-mail address through mchsi.com then, i had to reset my hub then restart wait one day and boom hi-speed.

And no one at mediacom could figure this out? You're a shoe-in for a job there buddy, drop off an application, you know a hell of lot more about how there system works than they do.

wink