Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Terence Watts

Permissions

I have two PCs on a wireless network, accessing the internet via a D-Link router. One PC, just recently installed, (call it 'A' for id purposes)accesses the other and all the shared files, printer, etc., perfectly well; it doesn't work the other way round, though, and if I go to the 'view all computers' and double click on the icon for PC 'A', I get a message that I don't have permission to access that PC. All the shares are correctly set, though.

Has anybody got any ideas?

An 'expert' has said that I'll probably need to reinstall XP; if I do need to do that, will I lose all the programme files?

Two questions there... I shall be hugely pleased if anybody out there can givce me some constructive advice!

Terence

tw@terencewatts.com

Presuming that these computers are in the same Workgroup, and presuming that your firewall is not allowing one to read the other, check to see if the Networking support boxes are checked:

Start > Set Program Access and Defaults > Add/Remove Windows Components > Networking Services

Hi Sampson,

Thanks. The computers are in the same workgroup and the firewall is set correctly. Also, the Networking support is installed. I've received so much conflicting advice, including from Microsoft (with whom I gave up when I ceased to understand the Indian accent) that I'm at a complete loss with this!

Any other ideas would be most welcome...

Terence

Let's see what permissions you've granted your shared folder:

To examine a user's permissions on a file or folder using Xcacls

1.Open a command prompt. Click Start, click Run, and type cmd.

2.Type:Xcacls FileOrFolderPath

3.Examine the user's permissions and compare with the desired permissions.

The following is an example of the preceding Xcacls command:

Xcacls C:\Tools

Me again. I down loaded the Xcalcs programme and everything looks ok everywhere. Here's an odd thing: I connected a laptop (XP Pro) to the network and got a similar problem - the laptop could access the files on one computer but not the other (computer A); neither of them could access the laptop. I decided to create a new netork with a different name and then the Laptop *could* be accessed by both computers but still Computer A remained inaccessible. The settings appear to be identical on all three computers.

The problem remains the same: All access to computer A is denied.

I'm beginning to think I might have to do a complete reinstallation of XP :-(

Terence

I could be wrong here(this is outta my league), I really don't know much about networking, but can you not take ownership of all the files on the inaccessable computer, thus giving you access to it as the admin, from another computer?

Hi Relic,

Yes, this seemed like a good idea to me too (Networking is not really my 'bag' either) but the problem remained... Computer A is inaccessble to anything else on the Network :-(

Terence

Let's see if it is the firewall. Do the following:

Click Start, click Run, type cmd in the Open box, and then click OK.

Type the following command, and then press ENTER:

netsh firewall set portopening tcp 445 smb enable

Thank you Sampson - I won't be back in that particular office for a day or two now, but I'll give that a try and see what happens.

Thanks for all your help - have a great New Year!

Terence

Well, I still have problems :-(

I entered the: !netsh firewall set portopening tcp 445 smb enable" but it made no difference. Then I ran Xcacl again, but this time it shows that there are no permissions set, even though I have sharing enabled.

There's one thing that is probably relevant: This machine used to have a W2K installation which appears to still be in the partition (don't know if it runs and don't know how to get rid of it) with a Kerio Firewall. When XP was installed, the firewall was off and couldn't be turned on - a call to Microsoft resulted in me making, with their guidance, a change to the registry, which solved the problem... but I have a horrid feeling that there is something here that is not able to be resolved.

Any more advice would be MUCH appreciated!

Terence

Hey Terrence,

Not sure if you have solved this issue yet? Have you checked IP address schemes to make sure you are in the same subnet. They will not communicate without being in the same subnet and workgroup. Are you getting a login screen to the system you are trying to connect to? In workgroups you need users set up with the same credentials at each machine to give access to the machine's share.