Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
Effie04

ntfs/share permissions over a network using xp pro

hello

i have a network with a few computers that has xp home edition on it, on 1 computer there is a folder that everyone on the networks use...

i want to able to limit a few computers on the network so they wont be able to get in to that folder, while other computers left as before so they are able to access that folder

i know that there is ntfs permission in windows xp and that gives you the possibility to limit LOCAL user on the computer

what i wanna know is - how to make those permissions for users over the network , WITHOUT using a server system with active direcory

10X

You might think of making it less complicated by simply giving the shared folder a password on the one computer. On the other computers that you want to logon, simply set them up to automatically use the password for that folder.

Go to the machine that has the folder on it. Bring up Windows explorer, go to the folder you want to share, right click on the folder, and Choose Sharing and Security. When the window comes up, you'll see that you can supply a password in order to use the folder. That will make it shareable with a password on that machine.

Go to any of the computer computers that you want to access the folder. Use windows explorer to click on the folder, a dialogue box will come up with UserID and Password. Fill in the info, make it automatic for that machine.

i think i`m missing something here... there is no password related option when i do what you say..

i have "permissions/caching /new shares" under sharing and under "group or user names" under security

:-|

Interesting. There should be a little hand on the folder that you want to share. Possibly, you used the wizard to make it shareable originally. What you will want to do is - using windows explorer, click on the folder, then right click on it and after choosing Sharing and Security remove its shareability. The hand should disappear. Then, right click on the folder, choose Sharing and Security. Sometimes a window comes up and warns you about Sharing and that you should use the wizard - don't - just choose the selection that lets you make it shareable. After choosing that a window will pop up with three tabs. The middle one should be selected. You can read in the middle of the window, that you can click on making it shareable, give it a password, and also allow users to modify it. Then, you will need to go to each computer that accesses that folder and clicking on it will provide a dialogue window where the userid and password has to be supplied. When you do so correctly, it will ask you if you want it to remember this setting. Tell it yes.