Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
foxman98

Software RAID Solution

Greetings,

My current set up is as follows:

Win2k Pro, Dual PIII 500, 128M RAM, one 6 gig HD and a 13 gigger.

Currently, C Drive where win2k is installed is 6 gig's, half of the 13 gigger. D is a software RAID drive of 12 Gigs, the 6 that's left from the 12 and the other 6 gigger. Is this a decent setup? Striping RAID btw. is there anyway to install on software raid?

Cheers,

Steve

First off, I must say you will gain (0) performance from doing this. RAIDs only work better if you have more than 2 disks in it.

Secondly, this is only beneficial if you wanna keep data from being corrupted.

Actually, yes, you would see a decent performace gain, but the setup probably wouldn't work with a non-RAID partition sharing a drive (It depends on the solution).

It would be significantly better to have stand alone RAID drives, but this might not be feasable if you don't want to buy another drive and you insist on having a non-RAID drive.

If you do go the RAID-route, I would suggest having one RAID volume of your two drives (everything is RAID, no non-RAID partitions). You could then break the RAID volume into as many partitions as you feel necessary.

Generally, I wouldn't recommend a RAID-0 setup unless you need the speed (working with uncompressed video), or, if a drive dies, you don't care about losing the data (you have backups, whatever).

Also, software RAID puts a strain on the the CPU, so, depending on your usage patterns, the CPU hit might be enough to convince you to move to a low-cost hardware solution.

And to RYO, RAID-0 (striping) and RAID-1 (mirroring) work with two disks.

Unfortunately, I can't name any software RAID products off the top of my head. They are common on Linux and BSD, but not as much on NT.

If your disks are IDE, there are some low cost hardware boards that might do the trick. SCSI RAID is still more expensive, but there are some lower-end products available. I personally have always been a fan of AMI RAID technology; you might want to take a look at "HyperDisk."

www.megatrends.com

[This message has been edited by DrSchmoe (edited 03 March 2000).]