Compatible Support Forums
Sign in to follow this  
savio_mit_glug

Trying to get ADSL USB Modem to work on FC3 !

smile Hello, Everyone!

This is my first post here.

I got introduced to Linux since RMS visited my college in March and I've been hooked onto it since then. I never thought that just using an OS would be so much fun. However, I can't claim any great expertise in Linux.I'm still much of a newbie! frown

Last month, I managed to get a Broadband ADSL Ethernet Router/Modem working on FC3 at my uncle's house.

<Huawei SmartAX MT800 >

The service provider was BSNL Dataone.( Chennai,TN,India)

Now, I'm trying to get the same Broadband running at my home.<Nagercoil,TN>

The problem is that at my hometown,there are so few subscribers to Broadband at this time that they have not setup the Broadband in the usual way as at Chennai.

Instead of storing the Username and Password in the modem, they have used a dialup bridge in which accesses the broadband by dialing up a number instead of the usual "always on" broadband.

Also, the ADSL router they have provided here is connected through the USB port and not to the Ethernet card.

The router is : Huawei Sterlite SmartAX MT882

They have provided a device driver for Linux,but it is for RH8.0 and it does not work under FC3.

At the helpdesk, they told me that at present, their server does not support always on Broadband and that was why they had installed the dialup bridge. I tried to access the modem through browser and store the username and password but then the Broadband didn't work. So,I have reverted back to the bridge.

But even that works only under Windows. So far I have had no success trying to make it work in GNU/Linux.

The device driver is also available online at this URL:

http://list.driverguide.com/list/LINUX/company2033/

If anyone has any suggestions to make, please reply and tell me. I thank you for taking your time to read this.

Yours,

Savio. laugh

P.S: I didn't know whether the correct place to post this was the

hardware forum or the network forum. I hope its in the right place.

This may not be the best answer for you, but the solution would be to do the same thing that you did at your uncle's house. Get a NIC card and solve the problem. USB is tricky and the source of the issue. In the US, you can get an inexpensive NIC card that will wotk for about $10-20 USD. If this is possible, that is what I would suggest.

The other thing you could try, is to get FC4 and see if support is better for the USB connection. USB device support is getting better.

But perhaps others may have the solution for USB modem connections.

Dear Danleff,

I'm very sorry about my bad manners in not replying to thank you for your prompt reply. The fact is that the next day after I posted this, I had to leave home for a month to attend a course. I accessed this forum only now after a month. Thank you so much for replying so soon. I'll try what you said. Again, thank you very much.

Yours,

Savio